9.5month old can't keep anything down

Strawbs

Toby is vomiting up everything we give him. ?Last night when he went to bed he took a long time to settle (no crying just mucking around) so I figured it was the heat. Went in to him this morning and he had been sick all over himself and the bed was sprayed, also did a nasty poo. Gave him his bottle this morning and he projectiled straight away so much that we needed to bathe him. He Was very hungry so we gave him some pears (I thought nice and bland) and within a minute he sprayed My partner with vomit. No fever and seems happy besides being hungry an having a small tash on his tummy. Besides keeping up fluids should I be doing something? Thanks x

Thank you.. A friend of mine texted her sister who is a gp and she has given me some advice. For now (he is currently sleeping), I am keeping up hydration and monitoring and if need be I'll jump on the phone to nhs / Seldoc..

Thanks again!

There is a nasty gastro bug making the rounds. Whole family has had it here recently. Advice from our GP in these situations was to offer liquids (anything they like) little and often. Even if they vomit soon after, some of the liquid had been absorbed. Hope it gets better. xx

I Thought he was improving but my partner offered him a little milk at bed and he covered the floor, chair, both of them soaked through, it was even coming out of his nose bless him.. He is sleeping now but it he wakes up hungry I'll offer him some water.. He doesn't have a temp and hasn't been grumpy so it's a bit of a mystery.. Hoping he will be better in the morning.. Possible long night ahead!

SBot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Most likely a tummy bug, keep off the dairy! Offer

> sips of water, with diaorlyte! Plain toast if he

> will. It wont go on forever. Best of luck.

I always thought toast was good but after my baby's recent tummy bug which ended in a trip to the doctors, she told me it wasn't great as there was too many other things in it so tricky to digest. Was advised really simple carbs like rice, potato, pasta, sweet potato. Yes, and diaorlyte. Would try and get some specific advice though if still happening today.

He slept through the night, has been vomiting this morning and is back in bed.. Still no temp and seems ok, I just know if I take him to the doc they will say virus and send us on our way.. Popping to chemist today once he wakes up.. X

After being covered head to toe all day in vomit I got him in to see his gp just now.. Tummy bug. Wants a pee sample (but he's not weeing at the moment as not taking a lot of fluid) she said he wasnt dehydrated though. gave me a prescription for diralyte as chemist wouldn't sell it to me today.. Hopefully tomorrow peace and order will be restored! X

Good to hear the GP agreed it's "just" a virus. Funny you should mention that re:dialoryte. I had mastisis and a bug a few months back, and I was terrified of getting dehydrated so decided to get some dialoryte into me, but the lady at the chemist was very reluctant to sell it to me...

Diarolyte (or however you spell it!) is great stuff - we keep it in the medicine cupboard as standard.

Recommendation for post-bug food is BRAT - bananas, rice, apples, toast: nice bland food.

Hope cutey miniStrawbs feels better soon x

I am defo getting it tomorrow! I gave him some bottle before bed and 20 mons later, crying and vomiting, coming out his nose etc.. Tomorrow I'm going to do dry toast etc.. What I don't know how to do is replace the bottle which he is very reliant upon at wake up and bed time but it seems to react with him so badly.. He is hungry when he wakes so not sure he will have the patience to have toast and no bottle?!

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you shouldn't give him his milk, he's only wee. Perhaps check with your GP friend (or SELDOC or whomever) what you should focus on, but if milk is still his main diet, surely he should still have that?

Poor little bean (and poor you guys).

He just has two bottles a day and then 3 full meals but he can't keep meal or bottle down buy the bottle seems to be the worst.. I might try a dry breakfast in the morning and see how we go. The gp said keep offering and bug will eventually pass but it's heartbreaking to watch.. Thanks moos xxx

Yes, it's definitely making the rounds, has been for a few weeks. We all had it a while back. Little Saff, then me, then Hubbie who was worst acutely affected. We all had slightly different symptoms but enough in common that it was certainly the same virus. I was the least acutely affected but took the longest to get over it, with abdominal pain for about a 10 days. :(

Wish I could say what made it better, but I think it just needed time to run its course. Eating smaller meals and having some Yakult or live yogurt was helpful.

Make the mattress up in layers: waterproof sheet, then regular sheet, then waterproof, then regular. That way when Baby (or anybody else) vomits at night, you whip the top 2 layers off the bed and there are clean sheets underneath without the need to remake a bed at 1 AM. xx

Well yesterday was absolutely horrendous! Thankfully though the adults of the house have improved.. Baby strawbs seemed better yesterday with very little vomiting but through the night (so I discovered when he woke up this morning) had again vomited all over the bed and himself (yet didn't get upset and wake us).. This morning he has an explosive bum, he seems genuinely hungry so I gave him some toast and then he just kept crying so I gave him some pear and I've out him to bed..

Reluctant to race back to gp as fairly sure it will just be a repeat of Monday but the rash on his tummy is a little worse.. I'll see how he is when he wakes up.. X

My daughter also had a rash with this gastro bug. It was a very light rash on legs mostly, a few dots on her torso. At the time I wasn't even sure if the rash was viral or if it was contact dermatitis from running around our garden sans underpants and leggings. She also came out with a separate rash around her mouth, which looked like impetigo. It started clearing up immediately with savlon and metanium.

The rash on Little Saff's legs and torso never blistered (rules out chicken pox), and it seemed to improve as the gastro bug improved. The one thing you must check is: DOES THE RASH BLANCH? A non-blanching rash can be a sign of a more serious infection such as menegitis. To check for blanching, pull gently outward away from the spot while pressing down on the skin. Or, place a clear glass firmly on the skin over the spot. If the spot remains red (ie, does not blanch), phone the NHS direct for more advice, see your GP or take your child to A&E.

Little Saff's rash did blanch, and her fever was never high or prolonged. About 36 hours after the vomiting, she had an explosive bottom, then things all started to get better.

So if you've reached the frothy nappy/exploding bum stage, you're probably on the upswing now.

Saffron that's great to know thank you.. Rash does blanch, gp checked it again today, it's on his torso and legs.. Very light like the one you described.. She has asked for a poo and pee sample and to bring him back Friday if not improving.. He's been I'll since sat night so past the 36 hours but have defo reached the exploding nappy stage so I'm hoping we are on the way to normality again.. She said to offer him watered down formula ie 2 scoops in a 6oz bottle and see if he can handle it..