What can I use to help 15 month old swim?

chloe11

Hello, we are off on hols in a couple of weeks so I took my 15 month old son to Jelly Babies at Dulwich Leisure Centre this morning which is the first time he has been swimming in 6 months. He is fiercely independent and wants to do everything by himself so he got very frustrated! Can anyone recommend the best thing to use which will mean he can play by himself in the water? I will obviously be right next to him at all times but wondered whether arm bands or a swim vest would be better or both?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chloe

I have found that e swim vests don't actually float mine head up, and when they are out of their depth, I need to hold them. On the other other hand they are more comfortable than arm bands. And even some arm bands (zoggis Rollups) don't float them very well either.

A wetsuit gives some buoyancy (I have basic ones from two bare feet) and basic pound shop arm bands seem to be new for their confidence, even though I don't think they help much technique.

I think in the eArly days it's about having fun and gaining confidence though.

I'd suggest maybe seeing if you can try someone's vest / armbands etc before you go. Different kids seem to like different things and it can be expensive and frustrating trying to work it out.

Also see if you can clarify the temperature of the pool - heated isn't always the same as warm. (still shivering from our daily dip in our 'heated' holiday pool) What works may vary with the temperature of the pool.

We found a float suit plus armbands was great when our daughter got to that stage of wanting to swim off without being held. We needed to take out some of the floats straight away as she was a bit light for it, but you can estimate that within minutes of getting in the pool and get the right buoyancy for them. Each session she would have some time on her own with all the aids and some time more one on one with no armbands. As she progressed we gradually removed more and more of the floats. Now, a year or more later she's having lessons and is happy and confident in a normal swimsuit using a noodle (long bendy float you have under your armpits).

I'd suggest maybe seeing if you can try someone's vest / armbands etc before you go. Different kids seem to like different things and it can be expensive and frustrating trying to work it out. http://www.forexchartingsoftware.info/iPhone.gif

what about the baby pool at peckham leisure centre? I could be out of touch, but when mine were toddlers, the sessions where the pool was made very shallow was perfect - because they could stand they had the confidence to start swimming and were soon whizzing about like seals.

apologies if that pool isn't open any more!!

we used the vest with my boys but they struggled a bit as they ride up and get in their face, but with my daughter we used the swimming costume with the built in floats - it was much better than the vest as it pulled it down and kept it out of her face. (they make boys ones too!) She got used to it within 10 mins and was swimming around the pool, shouting at us if we touched her! (very independent lady) she was 18 months when she first used it.

Thumbs up for this - we have a boys one and my LO loves it. Still have to hold him somewhat where he cannot stand but I have much more confidence to let him run around (obviously with supervision) in chest high water (his chest not mine :)) He loves swimming and the swimming costume with floats was recommended by the swimschool we go to.

have fun!

Jacks50 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> we used the vest with my boys but they struggled a

> bit as they ride up and get in their face, but

> with my daughter we used the swimming costume with

> the built in floats - it was much better than the

> vest as it pulled it down and kept it out of her

> face. (they make boys ones too!) She got used to

> it within 10 mins and was swimming around the

> pool, shouting at us if we touched her! (very

> independent lady) she was 18 months when she first