Chicken pox vaccine

reren

Last year we started the imms at the MediCentre at Victoria. My LO had the first jab, and we were scheduled for the booster. Then I became very unwell, and I failed to get her back for the 2nd jab. We're starting nursery this Sept, so I will definitely be redoing this immunisation. I thought this would me starting over from scratch, but CDC webpages (see additional post below) indicate that we're still in good time to receive the second dose up to around 5 yo.

I've already heard from 2 separate sources of cases of Chickenpox this summer. I'm wondering if that means that this year the virus is exceptionally potent, as it's usually a winter/spring virus.

Talking to a friend of a friend recently who said how very unwell one of her little boys had been with chickenpox a couple of years ago. I think the child was around 4 yo at the time. She wasn't even aware that there is vaccine.

Here is the info for MediCentre:

http://www.medicentre.co.uk/

They recommend making appointments in advance, and I think the Vic location is the only one that does children. Call for more info 0207 510 0300

We had our then 18 month old son immuized at MediCentre Victoria and it was an awful experience (last yr). Not because the jab was horrible but because their customer service and the centre itself left alot to be desired. Someone was stuck in the lift for half an hour when I was there (lift is only way up, otherwise you have to go down a fire exit that leads onto the station concourse), surly Receptionist, I was 4 months pregnant and was told I had to carry heavy bugaboo down the stairs alone whilst holding toddlers hand because of broken lift. Was told the jab was 70 pounds + 15 registration fee, only to then be told I'd need to pay another 70 pounds for a booster after I had arrived. The Reception was pretty dirty and all in all I wouldn't recommend MediCentre. I complained about the fact I hadn't been warned the cost was 2 x 70 pounds in advance afterwards, and their team then told me 'oh don't worry you don't actually need 2 jabs its just the 1' (convenient).

I've since heard from friends that you do need 2 jabs but am probably not going to bother as its too late now (think you need to do it 8 weeks after the first). My GP has also advised against the jab for chicken pox as its not 100% proof and its more dangerous to catch it in adulthood (apparently) as can lead to quite serious pneumonia (am not a doctor so don't quote me on that) so she reckons its better to get it as a child and not immunize.

I now have a 5 month old and if I do decide to go for the jab for her and my son I won't go to Medicentre - not sure where else does it but am sure there must be something on Harley St or similar. I've also heard their Victoria branch has closed down anyway.

As far as the jab goes it was pretty painless and no side effects in my son after he had it. But as you can probably tell I would advise against MediCentre!!! Good luck

How strange I was about to post asking about this.

My question is the same - does it provide guaranteed lifetime immunity?

I have also seen children very unwell with chickenpox this year and I remember being very unwell with it. Would like my daughter to have the jab in principle. In Australia it is routinely offered I believe?

Susypx

My daughter has been exposed twice this year in her nursery class at school, most recently in July when her best friends all had it but she didn't. Weird as she normally gets everything! Not sure if it's around more or it's just because she has started at a school!

susypx

Chickenpox virus is usually mild in children, but serious complications can and do occur even in otherwise healthy children after contracting the virus. One serious complication of which most people are unaware is inflammation of the brain (encephalitis) which can lead to permanent damage.

I've also been confused on the one-dose vs two-dose strategies. I think I had originally read one dose gives good immunity but that it wanes rapidly. Therefore it was recommended that it was two doses 6-12 wks apart to give 98% immunity. However, looking at the CDC's webpage (cp imms standard in the USA now, so they have a mass of data), they recommend the first dose around 1 year old, and the second dose before entering reception class (4 to 6 years old).

http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/vaccination.html

Immunised immunity from chickenpox virus does diminish over time. Some sources are recommending that teens and elderly or at risk patients be re-vaccinated.

Whereas, contracting the virus gives longer immunity, it still leaves adults exposed to developing shingles (a re-emergence of the dormant virus) later in life. One way to prevent this is to have the shingles vaccine in adulthood. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-shingles.pdf Although someone with shingles cannot give shingles to another person, shingles emergence can infect babies causing chickenpox infection which can be life threatening.

Contracting chickenpox virus is generally thought to give good and lasting immunity; however, a small segment of the population is at risk of contracting chickenpox more than once. It is currently thought that there is a genetic component to this for some people. So, no, having chickenpox does not make it certain for everyone that s/he will not contract the virus again.

It's only better to have had chickenpox in childhood if you're not one of the unlucky ones that ends up with scars, pneumonia, or permanent cerebellar ataxia of the brain. And you'll possibly end up needing a shingles vaccine in adulthood anyway.

The CDC webpages have more info http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/overview.html .