Early learning - free nursery hours - how does it work?

So I understand that every child from 3 years is entitled to 15 hours of free nursery care a week for 38 weeks a year. But how does it work in practice? Does every nursery have to accept this? My daughter is just over 2 and although we have a full-time nanny share I thought it would be good for her to experience a few mornings a week of nursery (but we can't afford both nanny and nursery). So this would seem ideal. I just can't get my head around it! If we got a place now that we paid for, then when she turns 3 does it become free? Can anyone shed any light on this? The Southwark Family Life website is a bit generalised about how it works and I don't really want to call nurseries asking for a free place!

Thanks

I think it depends on the nursery. In my personal experience, my son started at a montessori when he was 2.5, we paid for one term of fees for 5 half days (mornings only) and then when he turned 3 we didn't have to pay any longer. Now he does over 15 hours a week, so we pay for the extra hours. His nursery is only open 38 weeks a year.

Quite a few nurseries don't offer just 15h but insist on full time or various extras or the full 52 weeks all of which will cost you

School nurseries offer 15h term time no complications

You may need to ring round others to check what they offer

Where do you live?

Our (minimal!) enquiries seem to suggest that school nurseries offer 15 free hrs a week during term time (as Fuschia says) - but I think this has to be taken as either 5 mornings a week of 3hrs (eg 9am-12pm everyday) or 5 afternoons a week of 3 hrs (not sure of the hours here, but suspect it's something like 1-4pm). ie, you can't pick and choose your days.

A private nursery will be more flexible on days, and will often deduct your 15 free hours from the total time you enrol them for - ie, if you choose to do 9am - 6pm three days a week, your fees will be reduced by 15 hrs a week. But I think you have to put them in for the full 52 weeks (unless you give notice before your 38 weeks of free hours are up).

your child is entitled to this the term after they turn 3 (kind of. I've been told that although my child is 3 mid december she's not entitled to this until the summer term humph.). Not all private nurseries offer it. Some school nurseries insist on a child doing 5 morning sessions or afternoon sessions a week, rather than 2 or 3. Non-school nurseries who do it will still charge as they are open more than 38 weeks, but the fees will be less than before, and they may insist on a minimum number of sessions or days.

well, the private pre-school my neice goes to didn't, but they have started now. It was held in a church hall and not every day so perhaps that's why? I would certainly check out the criteria before committing yourself to a particular nursery or pre-school.

We live in North Dulwich, Fuschia so I'll start my enquiries with the ones around here. The confusing thing is that when you go to the Early Learning section of the Southwark website, there is a bit that says "Where can my child get a free early education place?". Then it lists nurseries, schools, etc and you can click through and download a list of Southwark nurseries. However that list is pretty comprehensive and includes nurseries that I'm pretty sure don't participate in this scheme (e.g. DUCKS). So it's pretty useless as a source of info and it seems like you need to approach each nursery individually. Very dull!