family-friendly performance of The Nutcracker

at the Colliseum - has anyone taken their under-5 to see this? I would love to take Miss Oi but worry a bit about the length, and also she is quite easily scared at the moment, are there any frightening bits in it? It's been years since I last saw it. Oooooh, I love Christmas.

If you think it might be a bit scary ( & from memory there are some fairly scary bits in The Nutcracker) then you might look at the Christmas schedule at The Wimbledon Theatre, aaargh - can't remember it's name - the one that only does stuff for kids? Anyway I'm sure you can google to find it - they always have a really good childrens Christmas shows.

Ooooh, I love Christmas too - this is the BEST time of year :))

As an alternative to nutcracker, they also have Sleeping Beauty in January

http://www.eno.org/see-whats-on/productions/production-page.php?&itemid=2005

Last year they did "my first sleeping beauty" which looks to be the same production (it's the same cast in the photos) but was cut down to 90 minutes and with a narrator. Plus because it's sleeping beauty my son knew the plot. This time looks to be full "adult" version but I notice they've got an family show when Under 5s are welcome.

my new find is a Churchill's theatre in bromley, easy to get to, nice and new. bought tickets to the Gruffalo's child, Beauty and the Beast and may go to Peter Pan at Christmas time as well. went to see the kids version of the Sleeping beauty there as well, the girls 3 and 4 years liked it, just a little long for them but they also enjoyed a train trip there from Herne Hill.

yes, I remember seeing stuff about the Churchill last Christmas, though Miss Oi was a bit young then - will check out what they've got on. The Snowman is in the lead at the moment . . . What I (I mean Miss Oi, of course . . . ) would (also) love to see is a panto with Justin Fletcher in, reckon he'd make a great Widow Twanky.

The nutcracker is brilliant, and quite a bit of noise in the family-friendly one, which is not so good if you were hoping for peace and quiet, but brilliant if your child is also whispering not particularly quietly from time to time. BUT there is a bit of a scary bit with the king rat fighting the soldier. I took my then 3 1/2 year old who was easily frightened, and he was pretty scared, not so much that we had to go out, but so the next year he took some persuading to go again...