Little Clippers - mega-expensive?

Jenny I

Anyone else think Little Clippers on Northcross Road charges way too much? I took my 5-y-o daughter there and was charged ?15 when she was only in the chair about 5 minutes. It's not like they're doing a wash and blow-dry too. Nice enough cut but I did feel like I'd been mugged. Trouble is, lots of other hairdressers seem reluctant to do children's cuts. Anyone recommend a good, local, reasonably-priced place that's happy to take kids? Or is this how Little Clippers gets away with such high prices?

There was a thread about this recently: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,926757,926994#msg-926994

We took baby Knomester to GK on Melbourne Grove which was recommended in the thread and they took the time to cut his hair properly (although they didn't seem to understand that a 2 year old might not be able to sit in a certain position for a long time...). They would have blow dried it too if Baby Knomester wasn't so terrified of hairdryers!

When the Little Clipper first opened I was a huge fan, but I feel the quality of the cuts very quickly slipped. It's ok for really little kids, and maybe boys, but my 4 year old girl has her hair in a very short bob and twice we walked out with a really bad cut - very uneven, and as mentioned before literally a 5 minute job. When they get to school age it starts to matter a bit more!

I get my hair cut at Kuki (Bellenden Rd) and took both children there for a cut before we went on holiday. They were great with them, both had a full 15 min slot, and it cost slightly less than it would have at Little Clipper.

My son has always hated getting his hair cut - however my friend takes her boys to a fab lady called Mandy. It's not a trendy place at all but Mandy is BRILLIANT with kids - great cut, washes hair, takes time, really thinks about what would suit, costs ?8. My son (who is 5) LOVES her. Her shop is called Sheer Class and is on Evelina Road, Nunhead.

I've been to Little Clippers twice and both times had to ask them to take more off my son's hair after they've done the bare minimum, taking all of 5 minutes. I found them quite surly and unfriendly and am not inclined to go back - only problem is my son now expects to be able to watch Tom and Jerry at the hairdresser! I used to go to Myra at GM's on Melbourne Grove and liked her a lot. Will prob go back there next time.

The little clipper offers something else to the children that can not be found in any other local place, not sure how people think how we can survive with big rents and rates and also paying staff to be patient with the little ones! A little support wouldn't go a miss!! Any feed back is most welcome.

Well when you do a quick, tiny trim (for example) - do not charge full price. I felt robbed last time I visited.

Listen to what the parents want. I have been told by little clipper to let my daughter's hair grow. Great in theory but she could not see for all the hair falling in front of her face and hair clips never last very long - most impractical for school - my hairdresser worked out a lovely fringe for her.

I think you have plenty of support and just need to address the things that have been mentioned here. It's true that you offer something different, which is fab, but don't lose sight of the fact that hair cutting is your main business. In my opinion your cuts on slightly older children need a little more time taken over them with more attention to detail.

I too am sorry not to use Little Clippers anymore. As mentioned above, the idea is great and my daughter would choose to go there every time but the quality of the haircuts is poor. (And my daughter is not a wriggly type). Two good friends of mine have had similar experiences with their boys - even the dads commented on the state of the haircuts afterwards.

I would be more than happy to pay the price if the the cut matched it.

I've actually only had good experiences (though admittedly it's quite a simple haircut). I know it's dear but I did have some dreadful experiences elsewhere for less. I don't think my son would be happy to go anywhere else...just wish his hair didn't grow so fast as it does add up.

I agree the price does seem to have increased quite quickly & the cut isn't always the greatest, however in their defence they didn't charge me a few weeks ago when my 2 year old only let the lady cut one half of his hair and then when I convinced him to go back a week or so later the lady who successfully managed to cut his hair double checked with me that I hadn't been charged the last time.

Since reading some of your comments i have now got to the bottom of the broblem, we have had some staff changes lately and there have been some problems in the pricing of some cuts.This has now been rectified and pricing has been set out clearer for everyone to understand and disscuss during consultation. If for some reason you come across any problems or if you are not happy then please speak up at the time so we can sort it out there and then.

Looking forward to welcoming you all back to "The little Clipper" soon

I just want to say I went to little clipper on Monday and Jodie cut my son's hair. She did a great job, really put my usually melodramatic son at ease and all round provided a great experience. I didn't mind paying ?13.50, she spent nearly half an hour with him so I will be back. I live in herne hill and the hairdressers round here seem to charge at least that for a kids cut without the cartoons/cars/chuppa chup at the end!

• 2 years later...
I just took my daughter to this place and was absolutely disgusted by these guys, they literally spent 4 minutes cutting my daughter's hair which made no discernible difference then charged me ?13.50 saying "we should have charged you ?14 but I've given you the boys' price" as if we should be grateful. They've clearly tapped in to the Dulwich over-priced market and are getting paid handsomly for it, totally immoral and reprehensible.

Yes, I stopped going there a couple of years ago now.

Second the recommendation for Shaun at Barry Rd Barbers, and also the barber on Forest Hill Rd, at the top end of the parade of shops where the Co-Op, Si Mangia etc are. Both do a great job.

Another good option is Bounce, also on Forest Hill Rd. They did both my daughter and son's cuts before school started again - cheaper than Little Clipper and really lovely staff who genuinely seem to like kids.

I stopped going to the little clipper not because of prices, or the cuts, but service -- I found it surly & indifferent the last time I went. We now go to Tom at Blue Tit in Peckham Rye -- it's not the cheapest option, but my son gets a great cut & we're treated well :)

My son's had some pretty average haircuts from them in the past, but he does love the little airplanes and Peppa on the screens. The best recent haircut he's had was at Mems, opposite the little sainsburies on lordship lane, the man with the beard was great! It was ?12, so not cheap cheap, but a real quality cut.