Toddler with car sickness - any tips?

Susan

Our 20 month old toddler suffers from quite bad car sickness,,trips are generally planned around 2-3 hrs after milk in the morning or before any breakfast at all! We are in Cornwall this week, the trip down was not great, he was sick before we even got through central london and again just before we arrived at our house. We are travelling back tomorrow and wondered if anyone out there had any amazing tips/tricks to deal with it?

Thanks

What do you currently do for car sickness? What type of carseat do you have?

We had problems after we switched from a baby carseat to a toddler seat, I guess around 18 mo. Things I have found that help...

Keep the carseat in a less upright position. This means Little Saff is sitting more in a 'bucket' position than a seat position. It seems counterintuitive, but being too upright was causing her stomach to be in an awkward position. This meant trapped wind caused her to vomit. Can you borrow a couple of different carseats from friends for a test run? Maybe a different seat would make a difference if you can't adjust the position of your LO's seat? After we adjusted the seat position, the carsickness mainly stopped, although she's still looks a little queasy from time to time, so we take precautions.

Keep the windows open. It's not enough to have a the front windows open a crack. Little Saff needs her window open far enough down so that air reaches her face and torso. Even if it's cold, the window needs to be down. We give her big blanket if she's too chilly.

If she looks like she's not feeling well, we pull over as quickly as possible and wipe her face with baby wipes or a damp towel and take her out of the carseat for a little while.

Don't travel on an empty stomach, but only give clear fluids before a trip, no solids. Definitely no milk, as you're already doing.

I've also found that being really well prepared for Little Saff actually vomitting in the car makes it less stressful for everyone. DH always hopefully says that we don't need all the extra stuff (clothes, wipes, sick bags, etc), but in the end, it's much better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. xx

Will watch this thread will interest as we have the same problem! Something which seems to work is holding her head steady for braking / gear changes as any slight forward & back head motion seems to set it off. Sounds a bit strange but it works. Also timing big drives for when she is asleep and def no milk before the journey.

Thanks for all the tips just not sure how he would cope on empty stomach over 6-7 hr drive...we are thinking of milk first thing and leaving it 3 hrs before heading off (time to get exhausted on the beach)after that just dry toast??

many changes of clothes are packed for the car

We have this problem and tried joyrides to great success on a recent long journey. That and a dvd player for distraction! I know he is too young but maybe the pharmacy will suggest half a tablet or something - maybe worth asking?

I know plenty of people who have been prescribed sedatives for their children on long plane journeys so there must be something to help with long car journeys!

susypx

On a recent trip to NZ our oldest boy suffered from travel sickness - not so great in the first 5 hours of 25ish hours of flying that we had ahead of us! In Singapore airport I went to a pharmacy and they sold me "novomin", not sure if it's available here but if not I'm going to stock up next time we pass through the airport in December as it is brilliant stuff.

Suitable from age 2, not only does it help with sickness but it is handy for making them sleepy ;)

We had some very bumpy flights over the rest of our trip and he was fine.

• 4 weeks later...
Just an update to say that I agree with Saffron about the car seat position. A couple of weeks ago we hired a car abroad, in the seat provided our toddler was in an almost horizontal position, and not one incidence of car sickness despite very winding mountain roads!

Some cars are worse than others.

We try to drive in such a way that we cut down breaking and accelarating in traffic, we slow down gradually towards lights, that sort of thing, and not lurching round corners. The way mini-cab drivers drive even makes me feel sick - they are often terrible lurchers and swervers.

Point at things out of the window, and get her into the habit of looking out of the window and far away while in the car.

Interesting that watching a DVD works - that would make me feel sick straight away!

Friends use Joy Rides and say they work.

I do remember sitting on newspaper when I was little. Perhaps it is a cunning trick from adults who want to keep their car seats clean, but actually I do seem to remember it stopping me feel sick.

Def no looking at books. Keep the window down and looking straight ahead always helped me.

Poor little one, it is not fun.