Acceptable sandwich fillings for school?!

susyp

My daughter has just started in reception and from next monday goes full time. She is pretty fussy, and also dairy allergic. Her favourite sandwich filling is peanut butter but obviously she can't have that at school. She will definitely eat sandwiches made of ham, sausage, egg and jam. She'll eat tuna mayo under duress but I don't really want to give her something she might not eat during her first few weeks, I am concerned over how hungry she is going to get!

Is egg mayo ok - it gets quite smelly and I am worried the other children will make fun of her - and also does jam fill them up enough with it not being protein?? Without those two it leaves us just with variations of pork which she loves but I am not keen on her having every day.

Oh and she loves smoked salmon - is that ok for school or will the teacher think it's a bit odd for a 4 year old?

She might eat sliced chicken but it's just as processed as ham so doesn't seem much point when she prefers ham. Roast chicken pieces leave me with the same dilemma as tuna- they are unlikely to be eaten unless I force her!

Apart from that I was going to give her fruit (slices of apple, or strawberries, mango etc) and a small box of crisps (half a packet) and maybe a yo yo fruit packet. Does that sound ok.

Any advice on successful packed lunches gratefully received!!

susypx

To be balanced it's recommended

Carb and protein (eg sandwich)

Fruit and or/veg (carrot sticks are good)

Dairy (yoghurt)

Some schools don't allow crisps

If it's hot weather, a little rice pudding is UHt and handy instead of yoghurt.

Re sandwich fillings, I find a bagel makes a good base as not easily squashed. I probably would avoid anything smelly.

I don't think it matters if the sandwich filling is a bit repetitive - children prefer it!

Cooked school

Meals are free in southwsrk

Now for reception - y4 inclusive

little miss fussy would probably eat a roll instead of bread occasionally but definitely no to cold pasta. She is a recent convert to rice but doesn't like it mixed with anything! She can't have yoghurt and the like cos of dairy allergy. I like crisps for packed lunches as I know it helps fill her up! She is pretty good with fruit. They have carrots often at snack time and again she takes forever to eat it - good thing in front of tv though! Not going for the cooked meals as of allergy may be a bit limited also hates potato and so many things have potato in them.

I have some little boxes that go inside her lunch bag so things don't seem to get squashed - we've been practicing over the summer!

Ham and jam it is then.

Shame about egg because eggs are important for her with her allergy - tons of iron. I may try and give her an egg at breakfast perhaps.

suspx

Some of my kids like to have a whole boiled egg in their packed lunch...yum. Would she eat that?

Humous and dippy veg is a good option that most kids consider safe...

Sausage rolls are a good option

Careful not to make rod for your own back by only packing her very favourite things though - you'll both be bored sensless by the end of term is you can't encourage her to have the occasional other filling.

We're lucky my son likes to have the same sandwich everyday for lunch - hummous, grated carrot, mashed avocado and some kind of sprouts. Even though you may think it's boring your little one might like the repetition.

I find if his lunch box has too much in it then he doesn't eat it as he'd rather quickly eat and go out to play. He has a sandwich, apple, organix bar and water.

lots of good ideas here thank you! does a whole boiled egg smell less than egg mayo?! I was just thinking about giving that to her a few times a week as her after school snack - yes she likes that. And she loves sausage rolls.

and v good plan re breadsticks and rice cakes so not crisps every day - will def do that I think!

so:

sandwiches / occasional sausage roll

fruit (apple/grapes)

crisps or breadsticks or rice cakes

could also add a box of raisins or a yo yo thing if she eats all above but i think the above is probably enough.

was going to give her a juice carton. She only has water at school at snack time as can't have milk and drinks v little of it - so was going to go for fruit juice at lunch. she only has a tiny bit in the morning as never seems to be that thirsty first thing. constantly dehydrated as i can't get her to drink enough.

i might get her to help make her sandwiches once we are in the swing of it then hopefully can move on to things like tuna mayo etc - once I know she is settled. I still remember her biting at nursery as she was hungry so really want to make sure she is full this time around!!

brilliant - off to do my ocado shop now! thanks.

susypx

I dread the end of school holidays as I know the pack lunch challenge commences! sooo boring, my son eats either ham or wafer thin chicken sandwiches, some times I jazz things up by adding homous and putting it a "wrap", he's quite partial to marmite sandwich but only in cheap white bread(mmmm my secrect fav sarnie) I've tried little pots of treats,cold pasta, chicken drumsticks with eggy rice but he says I'd rather have my sandwich. I always pop a bit of fruit in and packet of crisps... everyone has crisps with a sandwich it's the done thing right!?

He dosent like s big lunch as it reduces his play time, I sneaked in chocolate mini roll in today( school doesn't like them having chocolate but I threw caution to the wind and in it went) HE LEFT IT!!! Tag was far more appealing apparently.

I have opted this term to not stress about it.

I best get off as the wafer thin ham sarnie won't make itself!

Good luck x

Hmmm, have to say I send peanut butter sandwiches sometimes & have never been told not to. The children I know with nut allergies seem very aware of it by school age & in any case children are watched whilst eating their lunches.

I put a mini cool pack in with my daughters yoghurt & smoothie pouch drink & she has a sliced up kiwi in a pot every day - loves them!

I heard (no proof, just a rumour) that a young girl in Bromley died a couple of users go because of eating a peanut butter sandwich someone bought in despite a school ban. I just don't think it's worth the risk.

My sisters and i went from reception all the way trough to yr 11 on a marmite sandwich, apple and a kit-Kat everyday - we loved so don't worry about the repetition!

Also wanted to add that i started making apple flapjacks to pack with their lunch, i found them in one of my health books for kids and they are high in "filling" fibre so keeps them going for longer. Also sometimes make banana bread or carrot cake on sunday and then put a slice in a couple of times over the week along with sandwich and piece of fruit/yoghurt.

My kids would love crisps and juice but they would prob expect it everyday so never give it.

Have you tried making sweet corn patties? Super easy and nice to eat cold, you can jazz them up with some coriander, spring onion or swap the sweet corn for grated courgette, sweet potato etc. A good way to use eggs without it being smelly.

Other ideas - chicken and pesto, avocado and bacon, Fish fingers, crepes, scotch pancakes made with wholemeal flour, sultanas and cinnamon.

My toddler loves snacking on cocktail tomatoes, breadsticks, sweet corn, nairns mini oat cakes, olives, cucumber sticks with hommous or bhabaganoush, hard boiled quails eggs, mini sausages, unsalted popcorn.

If peanuts are banned you may still be allowed to use less allergenic nut butters such as cashew, hazelnut, almond.

A kids size fruit smoothie can be used as an ice pack and should melt in time for lunch.

If she's a fussy eater would cutting the sandwiches into different shapes help?

Thanks Sandy rose. Lots of good ideas there.

I wouldn't take the risk of a "nut allergy child" having a reaction to my child's food. A girl I know from school died from such a reaction through a catalogue of errors and not having her adrenaline to hand. Someone said she sends her child with peanut butter but she should be aware that, even if she is not aware of any allergies in her child's school, it is highly unlikely such a filling is allowed. All that some people need to set them off is to come into contact with nuts, not to eat them.

Re having school dinners - I made mine have them for almost 2 years but she was often coming home in meltdown from low blood sugar levels as often not eating much more than a slice of cucumber and a yoghurt. Teachers who observed lunch were concerned too so we tried pack lunches & she was a different child.

Now she's year 4 we average 3 school lunches & 2 packed lunches a week (looking at the menus together) & it seems to be working. I thought I'd be able to make her have school dinners if I stuck it out but in the end it just wasn't right for her at that time.

mine is not big on sandwiches and i like her to have hot food fo lunch, so got a flask. if there's something fresh i've made the night before i heat it up in the morning, if not i just defrost something i've cooked before that were frozen in her portions and it's easy to heat up in the morning, in a flask that will stay warm until lunch time. she's not a great eater so i feel much better that she has a hot meal for lunch: spag bol, chilli con carne, riche with veg or s, sausages. i know my friend's boy complained that he wants sandwiches because that's what everyone else is eating and didn't want to take flask in, but we've been lucky that another girl in her class (there may be more but she's the only one i know) also brings a flask so mine is happy with hers.

and a note on nuts: no nut products of any kind are allowed in our school, including pesto as some kids have a very strong reaction to them.