King's College East Team home births?

ecg

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of having a home birth with the King's College East Team? I had my booking appointment the other day and they were very positive and encouraging about home birthing, but the first-hand experiences I can find on the internet seem to be people who've been with one of the "caseload" services. I'd just really be interested to hear about what it's like if you opt for a home birth with the East Team, and whether you'd recommend it.

Thanks!

Hi ecg

I had a home birth with East Team for my first child. It was a last minute decision so I maybe met them 4 days before he was born (however he was 3 weeks early) and they came round to my house and had a chat and left a box of goodies at my place that they'd need for the birth.

I was very lucky in that I had a quick easy labour (well as easy as labour gets) and they were fab. One midwife came and checked me and when she realised things were moving along quickly and I told her I wanted to give birth in the pool she quickly got another midwife to join her (there needs to be 2 midwives for a water birth) and they stayed with me until feeding was going well and we were comfortable.

Couldn't recommend them high enough. Didn't have them for 2nd home birth as we had moved to ED (from Herne Hill) and I was lucky enough to be in the Oakwood midwives practice.

Good luck and I hope you have as easy a labour as possible. If you have any other questions please just ask.

Sally

I had an East team midwife for my second baby, 1st homebirth. It was my best experience of the four. They were so helpful, attentive and friendly. I met all 6(?) of the midwives during my pregnancy, but was lucky enough to get my favourite on the day. Then afterwards they were the midwives that came postnatally too. I think you'll be in good hands with East team.

I had a home birth with them (first baby), very happy and it all went smoothly. I met two of the team during my antenatal care but neither were on call the evening I delivered. I didn't find that a problem. The two midwives who came were professional and supportive. The post natal care was good and they identified my daughter's tongue tie early.

I had my second child, first home bith, with the east team this March and had a wonderful experience.

I was fortunate that Frances came to do my booking at home and was then on duty when I went into labour so they matched her to me, she was excellent. She also did the majority of my follow ups which made life after the birth so much more pleasant and easier(not having to repeat birth story etc).

I cannot speak highly enough of the care, attention and support given from both Frances and Nicki, during labour/delivery and immediately afterwards. They were instrumental in my second birth being an amazing experience, in my opinion I would say go for it, if you have any last minute doubts/niggles you can always change your mind.

Melissa

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering whether anyone could give me some recommendations/feedback on the east team and the lanes midwives? This is my first pregnancy and I'm quite new to everything and slightly nervous. I would prefer to have a continuous service with one midwife throughout the pregnancy and not sure if this is possible with either midwife centre. It would be good to hear any feedback or experience - good/bad regarding the two midwife centres.

thanks

Hi!

This is a thread I feel really passionate about...

We were with the Kings East Homebirth team and I had a fabulous midwife the whole way through my pregnancy. Like dtoh, I was also concerned about 'midwife lotto' not knowing who we would get, so we organised a close friend to come along as a support person (non-medical, just to help out, make tea, support my husband etc). This was really useful, as it minimised the 'not knowing' aspect about who would be involved.

As luck would have it, my midwife was on call when I went in to labour and she was with us at home. I had a super quick labour (six hours) and she decided I needed to be transeferred to Kings, and bubba came an hour later - my midwife stayed to deliver him. We were discharge shortly afterwards - so only in hospital for a few hours!

While my hospital experience was very positive - the comfort of being at home for the labour was terrific. Definately recommend it. Happy to talk privately too. PM me.

NOTE: being at home can be a little distracting too... my husband nipped off for ten minutes to make and consume a pizza (I was about 8 cm dilated at the time) (!!) Another friend said she caught hers watching tele.

Hmmmm

KWB

Hi again,

I have just found a flow chart I put together based on information I was given by the East Team at Kings. I did this so I understood the processes and 'system' in place.

(DISCLAIMER: Please note that this is NOT produced by Kings - it is a personal account only).

My journey was the one on the left-hand side: waters broke 5pm, went into labour 11pm, baby heart rate a bit iffy -transferred to Kings at 4am, baby delivered naturally no issues at 5am. Job done. : )