A playgym that entertains my 3 1/2 month old.

Sellena

Ah yes, we got the expensive Lottie playmat for #1 on the basis it looked nice, but he hated it. For my 2 other kids we've had the cheap and cheerful Tiny Love playmat with jungle animals hanging on it, seems to be a popular choice and they often come up 2nd hand on the forum.

I've heard the fisher rice rainforest one is good too.

We had a borrowed one (can't remember the make) and when he seemed bored we pimped it up with extra toys. Mamas and papas have a really nice selection.

Generally add something by Lamaze and something with a mirror and he was happy though! Perhaps your bub has more exacting standards :-)

We had this a-frame shape Chicco one which was great as it's really easy to carry around the house - I used to put it on the bed while I was getting dressed, on the bathmat while I was in the shower, and on a blanket on the floor in the living room and it kept him happy for ages. It looks like it's not available now on Amazon but there are lots of similar a-frame ones and they are much cheaper than the big ones with mats. Also they're stronger - my little boy first pulled himself up to sitting on this and was thrilled. Really recommend. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chicco-Jungle-Nursery-Activity-Centre/dp/B000IYGJQ2

We also used to swap baby gyms among our NCT group every now and then as they all get bored of their own eventually and that extended their usefuless.