Sippy cup for a bottle lover

My son turns two in a couple of months and he is still having his milk from a bottle. He is finally having whole milk to drink but I just did not have the strength to have the 'drink from a cup' battle with him. He drinks from cups and glasses just fine but likes his milk warm and from a bottle.

Any recommendations about which sippy cup is most like a bottle and less likely to be rejected outright?

no tips (couldn't get mine to take a bottle grrr!) but just to say I don't think it's a problem, I know quite a few toddlers who have milk in a bottle but water in a cup. It's a comfort drink for them so might as well present it in something they're comfortable with! (FWIW mine has her warm milk in a bog standard sippy cup.)

My son is nearly 3 and I have had exact same problem. I bought about 8 different cups from sainsburys over a year ago, he will drink water from them but only milk from bottle. Consensus from both GP and health visitor were it doesn't really matter, it's only if bottle/dummy are in use constantly and therefore can delay speech/cause dental problems. My GP bluntly said 'i doubt he's going to still be drinking milk from a bottle at 18 is he'. So i gave up the battle and he loves his bedtime bottle of milk and I guess he'll give it up when he is ready (at least I hope so...)

It's definitely for comfort, I agree. My daughter spat out her soother at 5 months and never looked back. She loves the warm bottle for comfort, and now it's just habit too I suppose. On a quiet day at home, she has so many bottles that we cut them 30% milk to 70% water, and she doesn't even mind. Curiously she doesn't walk around with them in her mouth. She either drinks them or puts them down where she's playing. She doesn't have a "lovey" and plays with all her toys and blankets pretty evenly. Maybe the bottle is her lovey?

I also have a hypothsis that she doesn't like sippy cups/soothers because of the shape of her mouth. I've known from early on when we had issues with the latch in b/fing that she has a high palate and short tongue. This is a variation on normal which doesn't cause her any problems. I just wonder if it's why she prefers a bottle to sippy cup or beaker? (She also still quite likes a bit of booby when she's tired or upset!)

My daughter is nearly 2 and still has her milk in a bottle in the morning and after her bath. Like the other posters, she happily drinks water from a normal cup and a straw cup but no way will she have her milk from one. We clean her teeth after her bedtime bottle so I'm not worried in the slightest. Her speech is excellent so I've no worries there either. I decided long ago this was one battle I wasn't going to fight; like all things, I've realised, she'll do it when she's ready. Good to read the other posts and realise that she's not the only one!

KateW Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My daughter is nearly 2 and still has her milk in

> a bottle in the morning and after her bath. Like

> the other posters, she happily drinks water from a

> normal cup and a straw cup but no way will she

> have her milk from one. We clean her teeth after

> her bedtime bottle so I'm not worried in the

> slightest. Her speech is excellent so I've no

> worries there either. I decided long ago this was

> one battle I wasn't going to fight; like all

> things, I've realised, she'll do it when she's

> ready. Good to read the other posts and realise

> that she's not the only one!

Ditto the above! My son is 16 months and "normal"

I had my bottle until i was 7. it was purely a comfort thing. I remember coming in from school and running to get my bottle. i still think of bottles quite fondly and sometimes i think of stealing my little girls one as it looks so comfy but i have been strong and not gone back to the bottle yet....

It did me absolutely no harm than i can see other than a ribbing now and then from my family about how old i was when i gave up.

don't worry your little one will loose interest at some stage as long as they can take other drinks from a cup there is nothing to worry about.

Aw, that's making me want one too! ;-) xx

MaryJ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had my bottle until i was 7. it was purely a

> comfort thing. I remember coming in from school

> and running to get my bottle. i still think of

> bottles quite fondly and sometimes i think of

> stealing my little girls one as it looks so comfy

> but i have been strong and not gone back to the

> bottle yet....

>

> It did me absolutely no harm than i can see other

> than a ribbing now and then from my family about

> how old i was when i gave up.

>

> don't worry your little one will loose interest at

> some stage as long as they can take other drinks

> from a cup there is nothing to worry about.