Snuffly newborn

Hi all,

My six week old has had a blocked and snuffly nose for the past three weeks, thanks I am sure to his 2yo brother.

It is affecting his sleeping and feeding and getting us all down.

We saw the GP for his six week check who says it is viral and not much we can do but wait, but I was wondering if anyone had any top tips for making him a little more comfortable. We have tried saline drops, a steamy bathroom, and are currently sleeping upright (with him on my chest, not much fun for me!)

I know there isn't a magic cure but was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions!

We bought a vaporiser from Argos and it comes out every time little one has a cold. A little noisy, but seems to help her sleep. I think at 6 weeks you might need to check which oils can be used with it - I used one from Healthmatters that they said would be ok instead of Karvol.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3768851.htm

Oh, and keep an eye on the room temp as it gets quite hot with the vaporiser running.

Vaporiser definitely but check the age requirement. I have two 1) a boots electric plug in vaporiser which I use when mini strawbs has a blocked nose and 2) the Vicks steam vaporiser for when he has the lot including a cough, it makes the room very warm though so dress baby appropriately.. Baby olbis oil on the sheets too for him (an hour before he goes to bed or it can be quite strong)..

X

Karvol, it's like Vicks for babies, you can rub ointment on their chest and back or get drops to put on their mattress. Put a towel under the head of his mattress so he's not sleeping flat, make sure the heating is off in his (your?) room so his snot doesn't get all dry and crusty. It's horrid when they have a cold, isn't it? Just after Miss Oi was born I caught a horror and was sneezing all over her poor thing, she didn't stand a chance!

We had exactly the same problem from about 3 weeks old to around 2 months on and off. Like you there were some nights when little cashew could only sleep when she was upright. She used to get more and more stuffed up over the course of a couple of hours and then finally snort a bit then let out a huge wail. It was a total nightmare and was actually the thing that had most impact on our overnight sleep in the first couple of months.

We got a humidifier and it turned things around completely. The first night we had it she suddenly did a much longer stretch before getting bunged up, and after three nights with the humidifier on she never woke from being stuffed up again. I think it has a cumulative effect.

We bought this one, did click and collect from Argos, only a couple of quid more than on Amazon and you get it straight away!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LN5FZ6/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550945389&ref=asc_df_B000LN5FZ6

(amazon link so you can see all the good reviews)

It has a little reservoir for any drops you want to put in it, but I think it was the humidity rather than the vaporiser that made the difference.

We tried everything else - tilting the moses basket, nasal aspirator, saline drops (think she was too young for vicks rub). Nothing else made enough impact to help with the overnight sleep.

Really feel for you. As I remember at around 4 months they learn to breath through their mouths and it all becomes a bit easier.