kid activities around Waterloo

Hi,

I'm relatively new to London and was hoping for some ideas of kid friendly activities around Waterloo. We have family from outside London who would prefer to visit us by train instead of a long drive. We'd all meet up around the train station. Kids are girls ages 6, 4 and 2.

Is the aquarium age appropriate?

Many thanks,

Karen

Hi Karen,

There's loads of (mostly free) family-friendly stuff on the South Bank, around the Royal Festival Hall: http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/ You can also walk down the river to the Tate Modern, which has a kids' bit and space to run about. The Real Food Market http://www.realfoodfestival.co.uk/markets/real-food-market-at-southbank-centre is good - you can buy lunch there, then eat it in the RFH and watch whatever's going on.

Enjoy!

Aquarium is great for kids but pricey - cheaper if you book tickets online in advance, and you can also jump the queues if you do that. Also if they're coming by train they may be entitled to some offers with their train tickets - worth checking... Agree south bank good, if the weather's OK and the tide is out there are some little bits of beach along the edge of the Thames near Gabriel's Wharf which can be fun. London Eye also an option but also expensive, though again better with prebooked tickets.

The aquarium is brilliant, for all ages. I first took my daughter when she was around 7 months old. It does take a long time to get around all the exhibits in the aquarium, so it might be best to do early in the day before everyone is too tired.

Sometime the queues for aquarium tickets are long. I don't know if you can buy in advance. Check online? Also, once you're in the aquarium, there are loads of little things to spend money on, like penny squashers, facepainters, photos etc. So either go prepared with plenty of spare change, or be prepared to say 'No' upfront to extras. Oh, and don't forget about the gift shop! (I'm such a pushover, I got suckered into buying everything.)

I would take a pushchair for the 2 yo. Little ones can get tired in the aquarium. There is an internal lift. Though last time I went it wasn't working, and I had to do a few stairs and small escalater with pushchair, but it was ok. xx

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• What would I do about cyclists?  The failed Tory manfesto commitment to train all kids was an excellent proposal.  Public information campaigns aimed at all road users, rather than singling some out, to more considerately share the road, as TfL have done, is welcome too. As for crunching vehicles.  I'd extend this to illegal ebikes, illegal e-scoooters (I think some local authorities have done this with the latter) but before that I would (a) legislate that the delivery companies move away from zero hours contracts to permanent employees and take responsibility for their training, vehicles and behaviour on the road.   More expensive takeaways are a price worth paying for safer roads and proper terms and conditions (b) legislate to register all illegal e-bikes and scooters so that when they are found on the road the retailer takes a hit, and clamp down on any grey markets.  If you buy an e scooter say from Halfords this comes with a disclaimer that it can only be used on private land with the owner's permission.
    • I know a lot of experts in the field and getting a franchise was a license to print money, that is why Virgin were so happy to spend lots of dosh challenging government ten years ago when they lost the West Coast franchise.  This will not be overnight, rather than when the franchise has come to the end. Government had previously taking over the operator of last resort when some TOCs screwed up. Good, at last some clear blue water between the parties.  Tories said they were going to do a halfway house, but I've not noticed.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Railways   : "On 19 October 2022, Transport Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan announced that the Transport Bill which would have set up GBR would not go ahead in the current parliamentary session.[15] In February 2023, Transport Secretary Mark Harper re-affirmed the government's commitment to GBR and rail reform.[16] The 2023 King's speech announced the progression of a draft Rail Reform Bill which would enable the establishment of GBR, although it has not been timetabled in the Parliamentary programme.[5] The Transport Secretary Mark Harper later told the Transport Select Committee that the legislation was unlikely to reach Royal Assent within the 2023-2024 parliamentary session.[17]"
    • Can't help thinking that regardless of whether Joe wanted to be interviewed, the 'story' that Southwark News wanted to write just got a lot less interesting with 'tyre shop replaced with ... tyre shop'! 
    • Labour are proposing to nationalise the railways, (passenger trains but not fright)  Whilst it removes them from shareholders control, and potential profit chasing, is it workable or will it end up costing tax payers more in the long run?  On paper the idea is interesting but does it also need the profitable freight arm included to help reduce fares,? 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In