I need advice on brushing toddler teeth?

Sol

Hi,

I really struggle with my toddler to let me brush his teeth, all he does is eat the toothpaste. I am worried that his teeth are getting deteriorated, he is 20 months old. Any advice? Do your children cooperate?

Since reading the last thread on this on here, we have been brushing our toddler's teeth with her sitting on our lap facing away from us and she will now let us brush them for a minute or 2 even, as opposed to the previous 5 seconds before grabbing the brush, have you tried that position?

Other option - sit on floor legs spread & get them to lie with their head in your crotch/lap looking up at you. They then naturally open their mouth & you can brush away.

Persevere. It gets easier you just have to be determined & gentle yet firm about it being done, twice a day no matter what.

Xx

You could also give him his own brush to hold while you brush, then he can use his brush to have a go when you've finished? Or do it in front of a mirror so he can see, some distraction may keep him going for longer.

Use just a very small bit of age appropriate toothpaste- it will have been designed with toddler nomming habits in mind! :-)

Just keep going, the more consistent you are, the better it will become- teeth is really not something you want to relax on.

SarahG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You could also give him his own brush to hold

> while you brush, then he can use his brush to have

> a go when you've finished?

This works well for us, in fact our daughter refuses to brush her teeth unless she is holding a tootbhrush (her old one) in one hand and a tube of toothpaste in the other....