repeated croup

kamath

Hi , about a year ago my son was in A&E with very bad croup. He recovered well but since than every time he gets a cold the croup seems to come back. Usually at the end of the cold and always at night. It doesn't get as bad as the first time but always worries me as the A&E trip was very scary. I am always on edge wondering what to do as I know it can be serious if if gets really bad.

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any magic tips?

Thank you in advance x x

My daughter was diagnosed at 2. 3/4 after a couple of hospital admissions

She is allergic to dust mites and often coughs persistently all night

I don't know they decide it's asthma (allergic component?) but we have a strong family history which swung it maybe

My eldest had croup at 13 months, not needing hospital (how scary for you all) but horrible, she had the recurring horrible cough all night when got colds etc. never s bad as the first time. the gaps between episodes got longer and longer, although she has just had a bout of it aged four and a half.

Hadn't thought of asthma/allergies, thanks for the tips.

I suffered from Croup most of my childhood & my little one has had it three times in a year, although each episode has got better as you say. We also ended up in a&e the 1 st time...

Have you got a vapouriser? They are great, the steam really helps with the cough, we put oil in ours & put it on as soon as we hear the bark/cough. I vividly remember my parents coming in in the middle of the night putting my (candle lit!) one on. Carpol or Vicks too.

I do believe it is one of those things you can be prone too annoyingly, I certainly was