Anyone been to Sri Lanka with kids?

We're going for 3 weeks over Christmas. Just wondering if anyone has any hot tips or advice that would make the trip easier (we've got a 5 year old and a 1 year old baby).

We're thinking of bypassing Colombo. We haven't actually booked accommodation (have left it very late, I know) but thinking of something like Bentota-Galle-Marissa-Kandy. Wondering if the elephant orphanages will be fascinating for kids or likely to scar them for life - have read mixed reports about them.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance...

haven't ever been with children, but we went to SL about five years ago and absolutely loved it tho it was on a nice kuoni trip and invovled lots of bumpy jeepm travel, not so good for kids! BUT what i wanted to say that we did go to the pinnawela (sp?) elephant orphanage and i loved it there and am sure your children would do too - no animal cruelty that i could see and a real once in a lifetime experience getting so close to the animals..

I second pinwala, it's lovely! Perfect for kids and adults! There is a turtle rescue place near Bentota (towards Galle) that would be good too.

The stilt fisherman in Galle worth seeing too and there was a glass bottom boat trip there too which would be children friendly.

I haven't been to SL recently, but have just been to Italy and we did not get a car seat in the right size for our toddler at the airport pick up (despite having been assured of it by a highly reputable kid-friendly travel agent when we booked). So I definitely don't think taking one is ridiculous. It will probably be a necessity. At least in Italy, the taxi driver was able to beg one in the right size off one of his mates, but in SL I very much doubt you will have that luxury. Can you take one that you can use as a buggy seat so you're not carrying two bulky items?