Is reflexology helpful during pregnancy?

Hello all,

I will be 37 weeks pregnant tomorrow. My partner was speaking to a yoga instructor/reflexologist friend of his and she was reccomending some reflxology sessions for me.

I have read a bit of info online but nothing has really stood out to make me go for the sessions.

Just wanted anyone's opinions/experience on this.

Thanks!

Taper, you are right, there isn't, but I practiced reflexology for years with wonderful results for many conditions including gynaecological problems, back problems insomnia and so much more. I practiced all types of therapy for 20 years, including on site massage, hydrotherm massage, deep tissue massage, aromatherapy. I worked for a newspaper for 6 years, giving treatments to all members of staff. Of all the therapies I carried out, though all very effective, reflexology was most effective and the results were long term. Many of my clients did not need another treatment for at least 4 years for their ailments. Some enjoyed the benefits and kept up a maintenance program and had a treatment once a month. I personally am so convinced by it, I'm considering starting up again, I would offer my treatments on a donation basis... If you benefit from the treatment, pay accordingly. I am that convinced by it. A foot rub it is not.

I had it for odema, which was particularly bad in my first and third pregnancies. Had the reflexology roughly once a week for the last month or so of the pregnancies (gosh those were the days money to spend ...).

Yes was great to take some time out relaxing but also found it incredibly beneficial. Had the last lot at The Vale Practice in Grove Vale and was fantastic, legs felt tonnes lighter and bizarrely I stopped drinking tea and switched to water almost without thinking - I just didn't fancy tea after the sessions and that will have helped too.

I think it is great for any digestive tract problems too. Big fan just wish I had the spare cash for it these days.

I had it when I had chronic constipation during chemo (sorry tmi!). I had tried acupuncture which had worked for me before with insomnia but it didnt seem to help with this particular problem - reflexology sorted me out straight away. And it's very nice. I am thinking of training to be a therapist at some point as it was such a good experience.

susypx

I read this and had to put in a good word for reflexology - not just to promote own services I promise! Reflexology's reputation - particularly for sub-fertility, fertility, pregnancy and post-natally, is well-established as well as being shown to be beneficial for a whole range of other health concerns - chronic and acute. Definitely not a foot rub although a dispiriting amount of inadequate training courses churning out poorly qualified 'reflexologists'. Always consult the Association of Reflexologists for a clinical reflexologist and with maternity reflexology training for pregnancy.

www.touchtherapy.co

Sorry - only just seen your post...

Two recent studies have shown that reflexology in pregnancy significantly reduced pain in labour (1), reduced the length of the first stage of labour (1) and improved quality of sleep in post-partum women (2).

Li C-Y et al (2011) Randomised controlled trial of effectiveness of reflexology of using reflexology to improve sleep among postpartum women. Midwifery 27 p181-186. (2)

Valiani M et al (2010) Reviewing the effect of reflexology on pain and outcome of labour of primiparous women. Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Research 15 Dec p 302-310 (1)

As with all largely non-funded complementary therapies the majority of evidence is experience-based and there is a wealth of anecdotal evidence from women who have benefited from reflexology for sub-fertility, pregnancy, labour and post-natal recovery.