Steam Mops - any good?

Hiya,

Not strictly Family Room possibly, but as I know we are all obsessed with our love of housework (!), I'm wondering if any of you have a steam mop to clean your wooden floors, and if so are they any good?

I currently clean my floors on my hands and knees with a bucket of water and a cloth, but I'm not getting any younger...is this the way forward??

I bought a Vax steam mop recently to use on our floors (tiles), and it's absolutely brilliant. It leaves the floors noticeably cleaner. I've never tried it on wood, we have a small amount of wood in our dining area but it's unsealed walnut so I'm not sure using steam on it would be sensible.

How funny I was looking into this myself. On amazon they have rave reviews but I really want to check they are ok for wood floors - ours is engineered - anyone know if this is ok for a steam mop? !

suspyx

i hadn't heard of groupon. My god I am already addicted. It gives me something else to obsess about!

I got the same one on offer prie from asda a while ago. Much better than hands and knees with a sponge. Wanted one for ages. Now I'm after a handheld too, to do mattresses, sofa, curtains literally everywhere. Definitely recommend, and more Eco friendly than cleaners, and no chemicals too. Bonus, bonus, bonus! I don't see a reason not too. Read reviews though!!

Groupon is very dangerous, my wife is ocssessed! Yes there are great bargains, but you end up spending a fortune on things you never actually would have thought of buying.

I've just ordered this steam mop even though we already have a steam cleaner!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Resurrecting this thread to ask fir any recommendations as to which steam cleaner to go for?

Those in the know would you recommend mop or cylinder?

I have an old slate floor to clean with years of grime deep in the grout - been doing it by hand (hands and knees and scrubbing brush) but takes ages - dont mind comtinuing to get it clean but looking for somerhing to keep it clean going forward.

Thank you :)

My husband came home yesterday with the h20 steam mop.so happened it was our wedding anniversary... Anyway, I just tried it as he fell for it having seen an infomercial, I would have researched more. Apparently the water used the better the cleaning, it used lots of water but also left the floor pretty wet, so not ideal on wood unless you go around drying it after. Used it on tiles too, but with a microfiber cloth any mop/ steamer is already getting half the work done. So I am not totally sold on this one, but it did leave the floor clean (but wet - I am sure others dry as they go).

I totally love mine! It is a Polti something or other. It has a bunch of different attachments for upholstery, glass squeegie, etc.

I don't find the floors very wet after use with this one and do use it on wood and laminate floors.

Oh hang on...mine is a steam cleaner rather than mop I think. Has loads of attachments. For the mop function you clip a cloth onto the floor cleaner attachment and then just wash the cloth when done. So much nicer than slogging a bucket full or dirty soapy water!

• 3 weeks later...

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Steam mops are crap. Bought one a little while

> ago, it was nowhere near as good as the steam

> cleaner, and after about 2 uses, it stopped

> working.

What's the difference between a steam mop and a steam cleaner?

I want one for a laminate floor.

What make was yours that stopped working?

I don't understand why you all see to think the alternatives are between hands and knees+scrubbing brush, or steam mop.... what about a normal mop and bucket, with an attachment on the bucket that enables you to squeeze out the mop? Simples.

No need for bourgeois steam mops - whatever they are!