primary school choices for admission in 2013

bemusED

we live near the police station and are outside of the 2012 maximum entry distance 'catchment' for our three closest schools (we are not religious so have excluded St Anthony's and Dulwich Infants etc).

nonetheless, we have visited most of the local schools in the area to get a grasp of them all and have come to these conclusions:

- they are all ok schools, ie there isn't any one school which needs to be particularly avoided

- most of the schools are having to survive ?in their old Victorian buildings?

- the head teacher has the potential to have a profoundly fundamental impact on the school, eg Goose Green's recent improvement?

we are curious though to have other's opinions on Besemmer Grange.?

It's a bit hidden away and unknown but?appears to have a lot going for it

- unlike the other victorian schools, the buildings are refurbished 1960s and the place feels like it has actually been designed with kids and education in mind

- the outdoor spaces are well split for the different ages, with individual courtyards for the youngest classes

- the facilities are generally better than the Victorian alternatives with?separate dining room and assembly hall for example

- the classrooms are great open, airy spaces with views out over grass and trees

- pupils can use the facilities of JAGS playing fields and pool next door

- the teachers appear very conscious of ensuring the kids of different abilities are supported accordingly?

- it feels really creative?

- the ongoing work by parents to enhance the outdoor wooded area opposite the entrance shows they are engaged in the schools future

- it has a high proportion of free school meals pupils yet it's results are better than Heber/ Goodrich/ Goose Green

- but Besemmer is notably undersubscribed, with very few first preference choices and we are not sure why

does anyone have kids there who can share experiences?

is anyone else seriously considering it as a preferred choice?

any advice appreciated

thanks?

We are applying this year too. We're moving in the next couple of months but if staying here I think Bessemer would have been our 2nd choice (after the one which is very close to us and has Outstanding Ofsted). I have heard lots of good things about it and the way its turned around in recent years. When I've visited it, I've got a good vibe from it.

The buildings have been there since the 1950s (my husband's uncle went there, as did myself and sisters and husband and his brothers, and my children and my nieces/nephews) and would agree that Bessemer did have a new Children's Centre built a couple of years ago but until then it was left on its own really.

I would agree with all your points and especially about a head teacher having the impact on a school.

By the way Bessemer is spelt with two S's and one M.

No personal experience of BG but note lots of happy parents posting about the school in the family section, try relocating your post there for more feedback.

It is amazing how some under performing schools are popular and some well performing schools less so but reputation And, with it, popularity can take a while to catch up with reality (whether that is a good reality or less so).

For my part i think that we are very lucky to have so many good schools on our doorstep.

If your instinct tells you it's the place for you it sounds like you are far from alone, go for it while you can still get a place!

Go with your instincts. And beware of placing too much emphasis on results. I have been horrified recently to discover that most (yes, most) of the kids in my DD's class have tutors in an attempt to get them into Private/grammar schools.

No wonder the school's results look good!

Hi bemusED, our son is in Reception at Bessemer. It's a lovely school for all the reasons you state and more and was our first choice. I think there are various reasons it's not oversubscribed - many people don't know it exists because they don't pass it, it has suffered from being quite close to the very popular Dulwich Infants, historically it hasn't been very popular and has been improving rapidly (Good across the board in last Ofsted)but reputations take a while to catch up, and finally it's too far for some people. But essentially I think people don't know what they are missing. PM me if you would like more info.

Hi bemusED. Our son is in Year One at Bessemer and we are very happy, basically for many of the reasons you list and others. Our son loves school (so far!) and we've been really pleased with other things such as the breakfast and after school club, as well as the range of other clubs and activities available. Great you spotted the nature garden - a group of parents has been working really hard with regular gardening sessions and we have lots of exciting ideas to develop it further.

I agree with Edanna re possible reasons for not being oversubscribed historically (it has also bulged the last couple of years). It is a bit hidden and so it may just not be as visible on a day to day basis - but for us, its location is a big positive.

Am also happy to answer any questions by PM. For others applying this year, the deputy head does a very comprehensive tour every Tuesday morning in term time at 9.30am (just turn up at office via red gate).

I THINK the published distances refer to those made on first round of offers. There is often quite a lot of movement before September as peple get waiting list places, so don't despair of putting your preferred closest school top of your list, if you know other people in your road who go there.

Have you had a look on Locrating.com? It lists all the local schools and independent schools in England. If you enter Bessemer Grange in the search field it brings up all the info including the parent opinions page link. It's quite new (parent view) but you might find a few useful comments by parents on there. Good luck!