Breast feeding vs formula feeding

This issue is crucial to successful parenting. Your child's whole life depends upon it. It is NOT a decision to take lightly, and if you make the wrong decision you will, quite rightly, be judged as a bad parent.

I will not sit on the fence on this matter. You MUST feed your child. One way or the other, bottle or breast, if you do not do one or the other you fail as a parent.

Thank you for starting this thread-my one ended up getting heated!

Thank you for your advice and opinions. I will still continue my plan of bf to start with. I have decided to pack 3 small bottles of formula just incase, even if I don't use it.

Midivydale- I haven't got a pm from you in my inbox but thanks for the reply anyway! x

See this overview of recent research on the factors supporting life-long wellbeing that was published today. http://www.esrc.ac.uk/news-and-events/press-releases/23902/life-does-get-under-your-skin.aspx

On the subject of breastfeeding benefits: "New research on children born in 2000-2001 has also confirmed the benefits of breastfeeding, which is positively linked to social, emotional and intellectual development and early school performance".

A key contributory 'positive health behaviour' is initiation and continuation of breast-feeding for at least four months.

Hi civilservant, would agree with the report you've highlighted, but just confused about the links with breast/formula feeding?

I was determined to breastfeed my three children but due to reasons beyond my control (early birth with my first, mastitis with my second and pulmonary embollism with my third) it just wasn't to be.

Needless to say, they have always loved school, done very well, never suffered any allergies, excema etc. and it's a shame that there is still this negative feeling around formula feeding.

Personal opinion? It's better all round for the health of the Mum, the baby and the nation if the baby is breastfed, but if Mum can't or has sound reason for not wanting to, or baby can't, or has sound reason for not wanting to (:D) then artificial milk does a grand job.

Edited to add:

This is quite interesting & might add to the debate (which is strangely taking a while to get going).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YuHJ0jylPCA/T5SEAHSj84I/AAAAAAAAAOw/t1n05IBx25M/s1600/breastmilkcontent.jpg

minder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi civilservant, would agree with the report

> you've highlighted, but just confused about the

> links with breast/formula feeding?

>

> I was determined to breastfeed my three children

> but due to reasons beyond my control (early birth

> with my first, mastitis with my second and

> pulmonary embollism with my third) it just wasn't

> to be.

>

> Needless to say, they have always loved school,

> done very well, never suffered any allergies,

> excema etc. and it's a shame that there is still

> this negative feeling around formula feeding.

I exclusively breast fed both my sons who are now aged 10 and 13 years for nine months (with solids introduced at six). One has (mild) asthma and a nut allergy and the other has (mild) excema. My sister fed all three of her children with formula and none of them have asthma, excema or allergies. All five children are fit and healthy, doing well at school and are sociable. To look at them together there is absolutely no way one can tell which were breast fed and which weren't.

My family has a history of excema and asthma as does my husband's family and my sister's in-laws. Whilst hardly a double blind random research trial my own experience would be that the most important thing for babies and children is a warm (emotionally as well as physically), loving and nurturing environment.

It is so easy to beat ourselves (and others) up about decisions made because of pressure (peer, cultural, environmental etc). When asked, my advice to anyone having a baby is 'do what's right for you, as that will be right for your baby and family too'.

sorry, have been biting my tongue over this from the previous thread - can we agree NOT to use the term 'artificial' milk or feeding - it's a vile phrase, designed to make those who bottle/formula feed feel bad about themselves and their choices or circumstances. If I heard a health care professional use that phrase I would report them. And I say that as someone who bf'd for a year, but who couldn't give a toss what others do. There's a whole lot more to children's development, health and general well-being to what they are fed as babies. Yes, it would be great if more people bf'd for longer (it's free! it's less hassle!!) but it's not a bloody disaster. Happy mum = happy baby - I think we can agree on that? Good.

Over and out.

Well, if a majority of people really think it makes no difference (or very little) then no wonder:

- that there is exactly one baby-friendly hospital in all of London (accounting for just 3.54% of births) - as of about a year ago!

- health professionals in the NHS simply couldn't care less and rather than provide bf support they simply give or recommend formula (sorry, can't rely on Unicef for this one, but it happened to me - and when I finally found help outside the NHS, no one seemed surprised to hear it... 'happens all the time'... apparently)

Seriously, is there a single OB or paediatrician in all of South London who is also an IBCLC? It would be delightful to hear that such a person exists.

What me, bitter? ;-/

Oimissus and Strawbs - I absolutely agree.

I too bit my tounge whilst reading the last thread on this so thanks for bringing it up. Actually I also find the not breastfeeding because 'of a sound reason for not wanting to' a bit disconcerting. What is a 'sound reason' and who determines it?

Michele

I dont think the previous poster meant any offence, but it certainly is not a nice phrase. It's not really artificial milk either-as it's generally made from cows milk- which is totally natural (as I mentioned previously,I am still bf'ing my 22 month old at night.she wouldnt tolerate cows milk protein free formula milk and only has small amounts of oat milk instead). I for one would have been thrilled to have been able to give her some formula-I'm still on a dairy-free soy free diet (and man am I craving chocolate!) advice to anyone with a Cmpa baby-make sure you get them onto formula before they hit 6 months-this is when their taste buds become mature and from then on may refuse alternative formulas if they haven't already started taking them-so if you plan on a social life at all get them taking cmp free formula earlier on! I also don't agree with the phrase "breast is best" - it is best for many but not for everyone, maybe "breast is generally best" or "breast is ideal if it meets family needs" - not really as catchy though so don't think it will catch on...

I would have thought a 'sound reason' is any reason made by a 'sound person' in their own 'sound mind'.

Free world with grown adults capable of making their own minds up about what they do with their own bodies.

I think Sillywoman summed it up nicely.

R&A wrote

'I?m in the camp that thinks it?s really none of anyone?s business whether another mother bf or not'.

Indeed

I started a separate thread as frankly buttercup didnt deserve her OP being hijacked and sidetracked.

I came under attack when i highly vulnarble post birth asked for help for my severly ill newborn. My point is that when a vulnarble new mother or mother to be posts a question or ask for advice it shouldnt mean that the topic is up for debate. In my case, i asked questions about reflux and at the time was not equipped emotionaly to be under attack of the ed breast feeding squad.

I was way to poorly and fragile to deal with that nonsense at the time and most definately did not need to hear others opinion on how i was letting my newborn down.

Each to their own.

I fully acknowledge breast is best and was totally unprepared for not being able to breastfeed.

It just doesnt always work out as you want - welcome to parenthood i guess.

breast may be better (can you have a best when only 2 things are being compared? I didn't think so), but that is not to say that there is anything wrong with formula. I am fed up with reading things that seem to imply that giving your baby formula is akin to weaning them on turkey twizzlers. It simply isn't.

Really, I do wonder how I ever made it to an RG uni and got a good degree, formula fed as I was . . .

It really is up to choice. We have the choice to breast feed or formula feed. And sometimes other circumstances make that choice for us.

I think it's good to promote breastfeeding to all mums. It does have a lot of benefits and the support should be there. I find it sad that among my friends, I'm the only one still offering breastfeeding to my 16momth old son. I resent even that the health visitor said I was in the 'minority'. I think that's sad. But I guess a lot of people just switch or mix from 6 months. Which is fine, my son has formula as well.

Some people are shocked to here he still gets some 'boob', but he and I are both comfortable, so that's all that matters.

I breastfeed so that I can eat chocolate and not get fat. At nearly 10 months old my daughter really couldn't care less what form her food comes in, so really I do it because I'm selfish ;-)

I've had 3 kids, breastfed them all to varying extents, first born was mixed fed and I will never forget the death stares I received at baby clinic when he was 3 weeks old and I whipped out a bottle. No mother should be judged or criticised for the way they choose to feed their child.

Agree entirely! Breast milk confers certain benefits but the benefits while statistically significant are in reality marginal and often overstated and misunderstood. We are not talking about the difference between healthy and unhealthy. No other parenting decision of similar consequence gets quite so much attention and I am convinced this is because it relates to mothers and women's bodies.

Am travelling but will post properly when I get home tonight.

MGolden Wrote:

> Oimissus and Strawbs - I absolutely agree.

>

> I too bit my tounge whilst reading the last thread

> on this so thanks for bringing it up. Actually I

> also find the not breastfeeding because 'of a

> sound reason for not wanting to' a bit

> disconcerting. What is a 'sound reason' and who

> determines it?

>

> Michele

Clare11 Wrote:

> It really is up to choice. We have the choice to

> breast feed or formula feed. And sometimes other

> circumstances make that choice for us.

> I think it's good to promote breastfeeding to all

> mums. It does have a lot of benefits and the

> support should be there. I find it sad that among

> my friends, I'm the only one still offering

> breastfeeding to my 16momth old son. I resent even

> that the health visitor said I was in the

> 'minority'. I think that's sad. But I guess a lot

> of people just switch or mix from 6 months. Which

> is fine, my son has formula as well.

> Some people are shocked to here he still gets some

> 'boob', but he and I are both comfortable, so

> that's all that matters.

Lovely post Clare11.

To those taking offense with the 'artificial feeding' terminology; I'm so sorry that you find the term so offensive. It's considered an accurate and preferential term in healthcare, much used in preference to the somewhat euphemistic 'formula feeding' term as promoted by multinational milk production companies. However I wouldn't want to cause unnecessary distress or upset to your feelings so I'll stick to good old-fashioned 'formula feeding' on this forum from now on. Thankyou for raising my awareness of your sensitivities, and apologies for any distress caused you.

Buttercup, I honestly meant no harm in my question and am sorry if I offended you! That is why I was quite frankly, pretty annoyed when I was accused of picking a fight. I wish you all the best with your baby soon to arrive , one thing is for sure - its a rollercoaster!

R&A wrote:

'I commented purely to stick up for buttercup, as i remember what criticism feels like when you?re already very hormonal and tired'

I did NOT criticise!!!!!!! I asked a question out of curiosity! Please, please let it go. It was a misunderstanding.

In terms of bf vs bottle feeding - I am still bf my 1 year old and if I had had the nerve to refuse him my breast and the will to prepare bottles, I would have done a long time ago because I reckon he would be a MUCH better sleeper if he weren't breast-dependent. And I'm still wearing nursing bras... :(