Is it worth taking toddlers skiing?

ClareC

I'm hoping to book a week's skiing for my partner and I plus our children. They will be just 3 and nearly 2 when we go.

I really want to book but my partner thinks it's no holiday for them at this age, not so much the 3 year old as we can start her skiing but the nearly two year old will definitely be too small to start learning.

My view is we ski half day and spend the other half with the children playing in the snow etc it will be a lovely family holiday and an introduction for them to skiing.

His view is it's no holiday for them to be in Childcare and it's a waste of money to be paying for lift passes and Childcare each day that you only use half of (baa humbug).

I'm mad on skiing and have skied a lot, he likes it but only learnt after we got together so doesn't have the same passion for it. Is he right? Has anyone done this and would they recommend?

Hi. I've never been skiing but I wondered if you'd come across Kinderhotels? We stayed in one this autumn and absolutely loved it. The hotels (I'm very bad at links on my phone but they're easily googled) are in Austria, Italy and Croatia, and many have skiing seasons, depending on location. The one we stayed in, the Sportshotel in Achensee, was at the foot of a ski lift.

We took our one year old and had the best holiday ever. The hotel is completely set up for kids, with kids clubs, soft play, baby pools, children's meals, even down to tiny leather armchairs in reception! It also had a reasonably priced spa. You pay an all inclusive price and the food is excellent and good quality for children. The winter all-inclusive price includes ski school for over-2s (I think). Have a look. They are so child centred that you could balance the skiing time with loads of fun for the kids.

I have only have the one child so you have a bit more logistically on your plate. However as a v keen skiier I totally understand your need. Early three in my opinion is possible to ski, two is too young their little legs are just not strong enough, but they could have fun in the snow garden play area getting used to snow etc while wating for you to get back.

ESF in some resorts do really cheap private lessons for half an hour which will give them and you a taste of manhandling a three year old around the slope, which is bascically letting them go and stearing them with the side of your ski to stop them falling off the side of the mountain!! You do need nerves of steel to take little ones out skiing. I have seen my four year old disappearing off down the fall line at 50, he doesn't know yet how to turn or even much want to.

I wouldn't bother with group lessons. They are two long and boring and French kids are better behaved. My son ended up head butting the teacher in rage, who was horrified as was I, we never went back. I now ski with my kid, now five all day, although I'm threatening him with ski lessons this year (forth time skiing) as I want a bit of time off but it will really depend on the size of the group, quality varies enormously.

I also have a nipper grip which you can get on amazon. It has handles on both sides for hoisting them on and off ski lifts, brilliant, it also comes with reigns which can feel like you're using your three year old as a husky and ski clips for the end of their skis which stop them crossing over which they do all the time when their learning which is a pain. I have a good quality pair for sale actaully - let me know if you want. However the last ski instructor took one look at them and took them straight off as he pushed my baby down the run.

I see Mark Warner are doing free child places in some resorts this year which might be really good for your two year old. I put my son in child care for his first birthday while I hit the slopes!!! Naughty Mummy. In my totally biased opinion go for it, train them up early to love what you love and you'll have a bright future of happy family times in the mountains.

Ahh. Well we have pretty much decided that we are going to go. Despite the many reasons that your OH mentions not to - I'm with you and think it will be a fun family holiday and an amazing introduction for the older ones to learn to ski/snowboard really young. We are hopefully going to get a catered chalet and take the grandparents - and look into some private sessions for Z.

This is my favourite u tube clip of the moment - my boys (3.5 and 1.5) watched it on repeat this morning and are excited about going!!

I might go for it this year too! With my nearly 4 year old and nearly 2 year old. I love the look of the Kinderhotels but can't tell if it is a bit too Disneyland/kid-focused?? But good to hear from someone's experience that they are as good as they look. I will check Mark Warner too. Any other tips of where to start welcome! This is probably the last year we can get away with going not in the school holidays.

What we hadn't twigged till we went to the kinderhotel was that when the hotel caters so much for kids, it makes it easier to do the adult stuff too. The kids clubs are so good that most parents spend a lot of time chilling out, and there's no stress of wondering when and what to feed them, or whether you're bothering other people. The kids we saw around were very well behaved too! Our place wasn't remotely Disney but I know some of the other hotels have mascot characters around a bit.

We took our two earlier this year for the first time. 4yo loved ski school (she was the only non french speaker but teachers all spoke English and she made friends nonetheless.). 15mo loved sledging, snowballs, and slept for a couple of prime skiing hours in the middle of the day anyway. He also enjoyed the swimming pool so there was loads for him to do. We took my sister and shared childcare for the wee one between the three adults which worked well. I think he'd have been equally happy in the nursery though. Most french resorts will have one but you do have to book well in advance and as with all these things how well it works will depend on the personality of the child as much as anything.

I have skied in Portes les Soleils area quite a bit but not with very young children BUT Les Gets is a fab family place to ski with plenty of easy access slopes, kinder courses (you see long lines of tiny ones doing drills and getting back to the top of tiny slopes by special little travelators - or being led along snowy paths all following in the same ski tracks). There is also some kind of snow park that only children and their parents can go to - an outdoor zone that is not a park in the sense of massive aqua parks and such. Les Gets is a lovely town with traditional Haute Savoie wooden buildings and is good for a wander. Skilled skiers will even be able to ski over to Switzerland if they want to - plenty of red and blacks (The Wall), mogul runs etc. Les Gets is ideally placed for access to this network and for family trips over to Morzine for an afternoon. Above Morzine is the somewhat higher Avoriaz - a purpose built ski in ski out resort with a nursery ski school at its centre. There are great board runs (pipes etc) here also. ESF in Morzine and I think elsewhere because I booked via the website - in fact it may have been a web only offer - did really good week long lesson beginners course last year that included skis, lift pass and tuition. My son, 14, was on this and I could not beat the price anywhere even going to ski hire shop I use every year. Portes de Soleils area usually has good ski pass discounts pre-season but I notice that some chalets are offering that all included also. (May be normal as I have not really stayed in a catered chalet in this area). Hope this helps!