vitamin drops

kamath

Hi , I was wondering if anyone was giving vitamin drops to their baby. The health visitor gave us some to use at 8 weeks but the expired after a few months. I gave them to her when I remembered . Just wondering if it is a recommended thing to do. I didn't with my son but he was formula fed and formula milk seems filled with vitamins. Just wondering what other did or do and what vitamin drops to use as the ones from the health visitor don't seem available in chemists.

I understood (a few years back) that vitamin drops were being given due to some mums / kids not getting enough Vitamin D. If you are breast feeding and get out and about, you should be getting enough sunlight and hence enough Vitamin D and hence your milk should be fine. Similarly formula milk should be giving the appropriate dosage needed.

I think it was being given generally in a preventative way rather than trying to target those who specifically needed it.

Not sure if guidance has changed - my youngest is now 5 so maybe someone could update?

First health visitor (home visit as 2 weeks old) suggested that I would be getting some vitamin drops for my November born daughter at the baby clinic, but when I enquired they said it was not necessary for exclusively bf babies - they also recommended continuing my own vitamins as above.