Herne Hill School opinions

Had a tour of Herne Hill School yesterday. Obviously, v good school with excellent staff. But got a very particular impression. I don't know any families that attend there. Could anyone give me some honest feedback about what it is like for the kids?

A small thing I did not like was the idea of reception kids eating their packed lunches at their desks at lunchtimes.

All very good, excellent organisation, superb standard of work, abundance of excellent staff, clear objective to bring everyone to successful 7plus (which I guess is what the parents want/children need). Any child starting to slip behind would no doubt have great safety net from all the learning support.

But, I could not put my finger on why, the head seemed very nice and everything she said made sense to me...it felt a tiny bit tense. I was worried it could be a little like a pressure cooker.

We have just put our toddler down for a place when one becomes available because we probably won't be able to get into our preferred closer primary schools - state and private. Seems to me the whole purpose of this school (and DCPS etc) is to get kids into the good private schools so not that surprising that is pressure cooker like. Our friends have kids there and they are thriving.

they don't have a dining hall and this is the single biggest downside in the school, they have applied and got a permission to build one on the premises now in the next 3 years, but our daughter will probably be out of it by the time it happens. she loves it there, now in reception, it's her second year there and it's such a big difference for 3+ with her nursery in terms of facilities and activities offered that we were very glad that we decided to move her there. i like the fact that it's 4 staff members in the class for 24 kids, compared to the usual 2 in other schools. they are very focused, very structured, which i like, you need to run it like a proper business with proceeds reinvested back into school (and this is probably something that may cause tention in some parents) and the fact that they have a waiting list probably speaks for itslf. also they are only focused on early learning (while in other schools that we've looked at that go up to 11 early years do not get that much attention) and this is their biggest selling point and something that they do very well. their objective is to give you an honest opinion towards the end of time in school where your child realistically will be able to get into and parents can decide whether to follow their advice or not. it's early days for us yet but so far my duaghter asks when are we going to school every morning, and she certainly gained a lot more confidence there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I had a tour of the school a while ago and I was very impressed, but at nearly 10K a year in fees I'm not going to be making sandwiches every day for my son to eat at his desk (he will have his whole adult working life for that!).

Totally agree. I hate packed lunchs and rather save my money for secondary school; however all the children I have met who go there or went there do very well academically; if that's your priority then this is the school for you

Hi Julia2009.

We made a decision not to go with Herne Hill or the Dulwich schools, and withdrew our LO from all the assessments in favour of a place at The Villa in Camberwell instead. But this is a very good idea. I may nick it, and post a thread suggesting a pre-union for The Villa in a few weeks time.

Good luck.

WMx

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wm can I ask what age your child is going to the villa?

I'd like our son to go there at 4 but they have told me all places are taken by children who have been there for nursery. Just wondered if this is the case.

Hi Julia

When my daughter started there they circulated a class list with contact details at the start if the summer hols. (Obvs they asked us if we wanted to be included in it first, I don't think anyone said no, or not many anyway!). Do you know yet which class he'll be in? If its the same as us then I'd be more than happy for a play date or two in the summer.

Jess

Hi Jess,

That's good to know. I didn't realise they did that. So, no idea what class my son will be in. A few of us with kids joining reception this year are meeting up in the afternoon of 27th April. Drop me a Pm & I can send you details if you are free and would like to come along.

Julia

• 2 weeks later...