mouth pain and temp in 2 year old

Jacks50

I just wondered if anyone else's little ones have been ill with some kind of mouth pain and temperature? my daughter has been miserable all day with a slight temperature and a very uncomfortable mouth. I can't see anything in there but its obviously really hurting as she's been crying on and off for a lot of the afternoon and she can't sleep.

I'm not looking for medical advice as I know I'm not supposed to ask for that! but just wondered if anyone else has had it?

Thanks

Could be Hand, Foot and Mouth disease - is there any sign of small ulcers in her mouth or small red spots/ulcers on her hands or feet. The mouth can be quite uncomfortable if it is this. Not a lot you can do for it, I understand - it just runs it's course over a week or so. Calpol / Ibuprofen for the temperature and any pain and ice-cream for the sore mouth/throat.

Better to get it checked out by a GP to be sure.

Could it be Coxsackie virus? It's commonly called hand, foot and mouth virus (not the same as hoof and mouth!). Phone NHS direct 0845 46 47 if you're worried at all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxsackie_A_virus

My daughter had this at just over 1 year old. Blisters were most apparent on her feet. There were only a few, and they quickly resolved. It was her throat/mouth that really bothered her. It was just so painful. She wouldn't even eat chocolate, refused a bottle, and could barely breast feed.

Calpol or baby ibuprofen were helpful, but be aware that some generic baby ibuprofen is very acidic. It seemed to irritate my LO's sore throat more than the Baby Nurofen brand. Calpol was fine. I gave her dioralyte to drink afterwards which seemed soothing.

You can also try having your LO rinse her mouth with liquid gaviscon, or give her a little liquid gaviscon with milk or water and let her sip it.

Hope your LO is better soon. xx

Thank you again everyone. I've phoned seldoc and waiting for them to call back. She has just now, finally fallen asleep, but I think it will be a long night.

Saffron thank you for your suggestions, I'll be trying them in the night!

Thank you again.

x