Hollydale and John Donne

nikki73

Hollydale: Cute building housing smaller than average school. Some good teachers, a few average ones. Very experienced, likeable headteacher approaching retirement (probably due to leave fairly soon? That will change the place a lot, potentially). Does very well by most of its pupils, despite attracting a more deprived than average pupil population. Gets good SATs. Outside space fairly limited with not that much equipment. Friendly and there's stuff going on for parents but it's refreshingly free of overbearing PTA types. Go for it, it's a nice, successful school. My elder children attended and did well and it will be my 1st or 2nd choice for my youngest who's due to start primary next year.

John Donne- No personal experience but have friends whose little boys are having a v good time there. I would certainly have a look if I lived a little nearer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I went to visit the John Donne nursery last week. It's absolutely fantastic! Really hoping to get a place there in Sept for my 3-yr-old. If anyone else is looking to start in Sept (or for school year 2014) pm me for playdates..

Hi, my daughter started John Donne last September. She is in reception. We are so please with it. The teachers are great, head teachers are visible and attend coffee mornings and genuinely want to encourage parents to become more involved in the school. It took a while for my daughter to settle in to school (although i think that would be the case anywhere) but now she loves it and doesn't look back when we drop her off. I think its great that parents are asked to attend phonic workshops so we can support our children with reading and writing. My daughter absolutely refused to write her name before starting school, now she loves writing! All very positive! happy to be contacted for more info. Good luck!