Sash Windows - Replace or Refurbish? Help please!

Jemmarc

Hi All

I have been reading various recommendations on the forum for sash window repair/replacement and we are going to ask a couple of companies for quotes. I just wondered whether anyone who has had their existing sash windows refurbished can comment on the noise and draught reduction? We are a bit lost as to whether it is worth shelling out new windows or whether refurbing would acheive a similar effect. We are on Honor Oak Park which is extremely busy and the traffic noise is quite loud so this is our main concern.

I would really appreciate comments from anyone who has had their sash windows refurbished - I am wondering whether it is ok for most people who are living on quiet roads but perhaps on a really busy road we should get the windows replaced.

Thank you!

Jemma

I would say replace. Refurb of sash windows is very expensive and on the end you will still be left with single glazed windows. If you put a double glazing you will save money on the heating as well as reduce noise levels drastically.

I've been procrastinating over this for months,and have just decided to go with Steve Carter at Sundial. The work won't begin until January, so I can't comment on that yet, but will follow up once it's all done. So, for what it's worth, here's my thoughts on the subject....

I boiled it down to three options for our house:

1. replace the entire window (frames and all) with new double glazed sash windows (I'm wedded to the sashes);

2. just replace the sash windows with new double glazed sashes retaining the existing frames, getting any repairs and refurbishments (including draught proofing) done at the same time; or

3. just repair and refurbish (including draught proofing).

Re 1, I became convinced I didn't want to replace the frames - they've been there over 100 years, it seems silly to replace them if they can be fixed - part of the sill will need to be replaced as it's rotten, but otherwise they're not in bad condition. Also, replacing the entire window is a lot more disruptive and will require more internal redecoration afterwards.

Re 2, I am still not certain on this decision, but because warmth rather than noise is my concern, I have decided the double glazing isn't necessary (this is influenced by my preference to keep the existing frames as well). I am concerned that I will regret this! A lot of the refurbishment guys say that double glazing won't make as much difference as the draught proofing in terms of heat loss. There is also some suggestion that double glazed wooden sashes will never work that well in terms of retaining heat, because they're not sealed units (like pvc sealed windows). I don't know how true that is, but it convinced me that the double glazed sashes wasn't for me either. All the guys I spoke to though said that only double glazing will significantly improve noise reduction.

We opted for 3, but chose Sundial (despite higher quotes than certain others) because they repair and repaint the frames and windows as part of the job. Oddly, a lot of the refurbishment companies just do the repairs and refurbishment (including draught proofing) but don't take the opportunity to renew the paintwork - I guess because that makes it a much more time consuming job.

For you, with noise being an issue, I suspect double glazing is the way forward. Which leaves you with either replacing the whole window or just the sashes. The Sash Guy is highly recommended on here, and he will replace existing sashes with double glazed ones if that's the way you wanted to go. I'm really not sure what the best answer to that one is, but Google away and you'll find plenty to confuse!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertyadvice/jeffhowell/8365991/Home-improvements-Shall-I-have-my-sash-windows-double-glazed.html

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3296312

Sorry for the long and rather inconclusive message! Good luck with whatever you choose.

• 1 month later...
After a whole summer of filling, sanding and painting my windows every weekend one summer my Mum persuaded me to get doubled glazed windows. I have sash at the front of the house and bevelled cottage style at the back. I was reluctant at first but the thought of having to paint them regularly helped and since they have been put in I have never looked back.

• 6 months later...

Just had Steve Carter of Sundial fininsh my sash windows (4 in an Edwardian front bay) whilst also doing upstairs flat at same time (10 windows). Steve was a pleasure to deal with from start to finish. We got quotes elsewhere and Steve was competitive immediately and then came out as cheapest on further discussion (which admitedly largely revolved around Ashes developments and who should open for England). But this did not impact the quality which is superb. His team of three was led by his nephew and they worked on both sets of windows for almost three weeks without flagging in the middle of the recent heatwave. They were hard working, polite and kept the area tidy for when they were not working.

We had procrastinated for some time about doing the works but then went for it with the guys in the upstairs flat. We initially thought we'd need the whole windows replaced but Steve assured us they only needed a full refurb which was considerably cheaper. We had put up with 5 years of inherited problems with sash windows which really needed dealing with. Sitting by them in the winter you could feel the cold draft but come the Summer we could only open two (and then difficult to shut) as the others were jammed shut. The paint work had gone in the most exposed areas and the wood was starting to be badly damaged. The weights and cords also needed replacing.

Steve's guys finished a few weeks ago and it is a pleasure to have the summer breeze coming in. I suspect they will be warmer in the winter too. But what I was not excpecting is the sound-proofing improvement and our living room is now noticeably quieter. They also look lovely too.

I would strongly recommend Steve and his number is 07966493641.

• 8 months later...