Double glazed sash windows - recommendations pls

byngo

Hi

We are thinking of getting our windows either re-furbed or replaced with double glazed wooden sashes. I'd be really keen to hear from anyone who would recommend a particular company (or tell us to beware one)and also to get some info on the average cost per window, and whether or not you think it was worth it as regards heating cots, noise etc. Thanks in advance....

Please stay away from Dulwich Windows trading as JWJ Ltd aka Jayson Webb, (they were originally Dulwich Windows Ltd but have just shut down). They have been using the forum to get business. They have relocated from Sutton to 338 Lordship Lane although I suspect this is just someone allowing them to use their office address.

Paul from Scenic Windows has a very good reputation as does Bespoke Windows, both of which are mentioned on the forum along with contact info.

We used Core Sash Windows having come across them fitting windows in a neighbouring street. We had the boxes refurbed (2 year guarantee) and new double glazed sashes installed (10 years). They were competitively priced and you get a fairly personal service given that they are a small company. They do full new windows, refurbed boxes with new double glazed sashes, and refurbished and draught proofed single glazed windows. They also do doors, casement windows etc.

http://www.coresashwindows.co.uk/

They are based in N London but are expanding southwards. The sash windows are made in Lithuania - Core are fitters/carpenters rather than manufacturers. The windows are engineered softwood with a factory paint finish that they hand paint to make them look less plastic (essential).

With one or two caveats we are very happy with what they did and would be happy to have them back if finances permit. They promised windows that would 'look almost as good as new' and that is what they delivered.

The new windows seem to be warmer, quieter, and are almost certainly safer. I couldn't say if they have resulted in lower heating bills and am reconciled to not fretting about whether they will ever 'pay for themselves'. They definitely gave the front of the house a lift and apart from the occasional double reflection when viewed from the street are indistinguishable from single glazing.

PM me if you want to have a look and/or for more info. Full disclosure: I've got no connection to Core other than some new windows.

Hope that's helpful.

GM99

Hi,

I have just had my front windows replaced by Bespoke Windows who are down the bottom of Lordship lane. they were the cheapest of the 4 quotes (big company, small company, joinery and them), the promised the fastest turnaround and then beat it. the installers were very nice and did an excellent job. they cleared up after themselves and left the windows and surrounding extremely well finished.

Would highly recommend and will definitely use them again. bespokewindows.co.uk [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

I can also highly recommend BESPOKE WINDOWS in East Dulwich. You are paying for a quality product and a good finish.

Murrey offers excellent customer service and even came out on a Sunday evening to board up my back door after it was broken in to.

• 2 years later...

I can highly recommend WoodAndHome ? www.woodandhome.co.uk.

They supplied and install very good quality and not very expensive sash timber windows to my properly in Balham but cover entire London. Provide all details in quotation and at the end I also replaced my rear garden French doors . All warranties included.

We used Bespoke in our last house. Really didn't want uPVC, but their top-end range of sash windows look remarkably decent. Quick, efficient and looked good. They certainly didn't feel cheap at the time, but they were less than two other quotes we had.

• 1 month later...

Can see this is an old thread, but for anyone else looking, I'd like to recommend London Box Sash Windows who recently replaced most of our old sash windows with double glazed timber versions. Our new windows are beautiful, a joy to use (no more sticking sashes!) and are keeping us really toasty.

They are a family company who were a pleasure to deal with throughout the process. Andy, who fitted them, was friendly, hard-working, and left the place clean & tidy at the end of each day. We had several quotes and whilst not the cheapest, we felt the price we paid was fair for the standard of the product and service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Glad u asked i keen know kind prices involved we have a bay window currently casement and 1 batgroom casement wundow like replace double glazed sash windows and just small double glazed top windows no idea price expect not whole property needs doing.we been told need planning permisdion by southwark.can anyone inform we conversion flat .