Palmerston Pub

We were disappointed with our meal at the Palmerston Pub on Lordship Lane the other night. Although the food was mostly good, it is over-priced. Four of us spent almost ?100 altogether for only one main course each and 1 1/2 pints of beer (two of us drank tap water). The chips were far too salty, the portions were relatively small, and the bread that was served at the start was indifferent and came with butter that was far too cold! On top of this, one of the waiters spilled water over me, gave only a vague apology and didn't mop up the spillage properly. I'm afraid that this just isn't good enough for the prices that they are charging.

I eat at The Palmerston 3-4 times a year on special occasions and have never had a disappointing meal. It's not cheap, but I don't think the prices are unrealistic given the quality. What was the manager's reaction when you raised these complaints directly on the night?

I'm surprised at the above comments as (the only) time I went to the Palmerston to have a roast the portion was tiny,the food really wasn't that nice and it was very expensive and I've heard similar reviews from friends. As I said I only went once so it could of been an off day.

I too have only ever had good experiences with the food there. The portions are small because most of the dishes are a delicacy...who needs a large plate of oysters or foie gras? Good things come in small packages.

And as for the waiter spilling water on you, did you even give them a chance to apologise properly? In my experience dropping anything on a customer makes me nervous and I would need a few seconds to calm down before apologising and if someone was automatically rude and started to huff and puff, my apology would be less whole hearted when I finally got round to doing so.