The Clock House pub

savvygirl

The decor is aiming for some sort of Italian kitchen vibe I think. Which is, of course, pretentious. But I don't mind a bit of pretension

Minuses first:

It's certainly a LOT brighter and airy. Also surfaces are all now hard, so it's a lot louder as well

I think they have crammed in too many tables between the bar service area and the new open kitchen at the back (too many for the staff to comfortably walk between with orders)

I'm calling the front bar the smaller one at the front of the building with the mezzanine. The mezzenine still there, now devoid of any cinema seating and there was a large group booked in around tables so that was as much as I saw

so lot's of standard pub refurb boxes ticked

Pluses:

BUT - there is a big plus

the new room upstairs is a gem. Small bar, fire and big windows overlooking the Rye. If I wasn't lugging a buggy around this is where I would happily spend a few hours with a good book

I would also add that the staff yesterday were really nice - probably a busier Sunday than usual and not too many ruffled feathers from what I could see.

Food - a specials board was promoting a steak from a local butcher (have a guess) but I imagine most of the dishes are Young's standard issue reheat jobs at hefty prices. Not my cup of tea

Come summer, i can see this place packed

I haven't had a look yet but hope the youngs pies are back on the menu. Price will be a factor as to whether I go there as an occasion or as a regular. The pub died over the last few years for various reasons (admittedly) of which pricing I think was a factor. Am curious to see the new room upstairs though....sounds lovely.

Went last night for a few! I thought the refurb might have been superficial, but it's been pretty radical. Good choice of beers and a great menu. Definitely not standard Youngs fare. Good sized crowd last night, as well, for a Monday! I'll definitely be back - often. Could displace The Rye as my favourite stopping off point on the way home from work.

AC1964 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Good choice of beers

xxxxxx

Can you remember what they were? Was there a decent choice that wasn't bottled?

One of the reasons I was never all that keen on the Clock House was that I don't like Young's or Young's Special much, and they never seemed to have much else on draught if I recall.

Just looked up the Young's website and Waggledance, Directors and Bombardier are all on there, all of which would be fine by me :)

ETA: Hopefully the "great menu" will translate into "great food" .....

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself, my names Laura and i'm the events manager at The ClockHouse. I'm so pleased you like our refurb!

We have tried to bring in a menu that is fresh, funky with scandinavian influences and all locally sourced ingredients.

Any questions just ask :)

Look forward to seeing you in the pub soon!!

Laura

Hi Laura,

Will you still be having the quiz? We loved the old clockhouse, partly because it wasn't trendy enough to be rammed and felt really easy going and friendly .. am hoping the changes haven't taken away its character completely.. ( oh and are dogs still welcome? )

Will pop in soon.

TheClockHouse Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We have tried to bring in a menu that is fresh,

> funky with scandinavian influences and all locally

> sourced ingredients.

>

> Any questions just ask :)

>

> Look forward to seeing you in the pub soon!!

>

> Laura

hi Laura - it sounds lovely. Will the food & drinks menu be up on the website soon? couldn't see it when I searched yesterday.

looking forward to popping in soon. best of luck.

ps yes I hope the Clockhouse remains a dog-friendly place too, esp as its so close to the park.

As someone who walks past the Clockhouse twice a day, I've got to say the benches & tables look awful now with that thin coat of paint all over them. Not sure what colour it is exactly. It makes them look ashen or a strange lilac & not cohesive with the newly painted front of the building which is very nice. The day I saw them painting over the tables & benches I thought this must be a primer undercoat for the main colour but they have just left it like that! They would have looked much nicer wood stained.

Was there last night... Briefly

21.00 10-12 people in.

Freezing with the big windows. (From previous re-fit) Heating turned off 21.00

Having a front which can be opened up fully is Fine..... (In Greece Turkey Spain)

Peroni @ ?4.74 Pint... (Guess they are trying to suggest the 1p price job in the Budget)

Roasts at ?14.00 Potatoes & Yorkshires listed separately @ ?3.00 each (?3.00 for Yorkies ??)

All food Over Priced. (Nothing new there.)

Carpets Gone. Many Wooden features Gone.

Walls down to bare brick.. (Re-plastering requires skilled labour. Expensive)

Noisy Echoey.

Very Bright (Clinical)

Toilets Upstairs not sure if Disabled facilities available.

6 out of 10. Feeling generous..

Will cross of list of Favs.

DulwichFox

That's very disappointing Fox

Surely the roasts include potatoes and yorkies? Are you sure the ?3 isn't if you want extra or want them with another dish?

And nearly five quid for a pint is taking the piss, even round here!

It will have to be a lovely space - and warm! - to induce me to pay those prices .

Did they have music?

Hi sue..

Not sure about the Yorkies.. Unusual to see them separate.. and ?3.00 ??

Music was on down Low and they have SecretDJ so you can play your choice of music if you download the free app.

(Evidently Peroni is ?4.90 in the Palmerston. )

So we are lucky ?? it's only ?4.74 :)

Not sure about the bitter prices...

I believe (not certain) they plan to have a Quiz on Wednesday nights.

So everyone will be expected to keep quiet.

Therefore worth avoiding unless you intend to take part.

False economy if you ask me.. People sit there all night with 1/2 pint Ale or lemon & lime then leave

when quiz is over.

Happened before when they had a quiz and same at EDT.

At least the Folkies like the odd beer or three. :)

Foxy

• 2 weeks later...

Visited for the first time since the refurb on Saturday and cannot express how disappointed we were, decor not to our taste, lost all character.....but that aside the prices are truly astronomical.....even for London!

A pint of Greenwich brewery's london pale ale and a bottle of modello.......wait for it......?9.40! Absolutely ridiculous, in this era of recession and austerity can these prices really be justified? If people in East Dulwich are willing to pay these prices they need their heads testing!