Dry cleaners

beloved

I have been using East Dulwich Dry Cleaners for years and they always did good job for me.

The one near ED Tavern was doggy. Once I brought a pair of trousers for alteration. They were not done to the requested size so I brought them back. When I came to collect, the owner claimed that they were a different pair of trousers (unbelievable !) and forced me to pay alteration fee again before let me had my trousers back ! No matter how I explained to them they just didn't want to listen.

Never stepped into that door ever again.

"I have been using East Dulwich Dry Cleaners for years and they always did good job for me.

The one near ED Tavern was doggy. Once I brought a pair of trousers for alteration. They were not done to the requested size so I brought them back. When I came to collect, the owner claimed that they were a different pair of trousers (unbelievable !) and forced me to pay alteration fee again before let me had my trousers back ! No matter how I explained to them they just didn't want to listen.

Never stepped into that door ever again."

Depending on how long ago this took place, I've a feeling it is no longer the same owner.

• 11 months later...
Be careful using J & B Impress on East Dulwich Road I have just had the most awful experience with them! We have taken shirts for ironing which have been adequate but recently took a lot of dry cleaning and a dress and new blouse were absolutely ruined. Both were cream and came back ash grey, the proprietor refused to apologise and claimed a stain on the back of the blouse was there before (mysteriously it had disappeared after the second clean...) She sent the clothes away to be cleaned again. When I collected them they were marginally improved but still ruined. Again she offered no apology and even told me I should be grateful for the favour she had done me. She even suggested one of her customers paid her an extra ?10 for doing such a good job on another garment they ruined!! Shocking service and very rude lady I will never send anything there again and would warn others to be very wary of their dry cleaning standards.

• 2 years later...

I would definitely guard against using J&B Impress. I took a brand new cashmere jumper in last week. When I went to collect it this week they had mysteriously 'lost' it even though they had all the other cheaper, older items I had taken in at the same time. I showed them the receipt with the cost and date. They were totally unapologetic and very rude and said that whilst they have to compensate for damaged items, they don't have to do anything for lost items.

Only when I suggested I should report it to the police because, in that case, there is nothing to stop them just stealing items of clothing they take a liking to did they offer to give me part of the money for the jumper. But this was still well short of the cost of the item.

I will report them to Southwark trading standards because, even though one case probably won't make a difference, I am hopeful that if others who have had bad experiences also report them, then maybe something will get done. [email protected]