New Hairdressing Salon in East Dulwich

Hello,

we are new to the forum but we have been told that our presence here is vital.

We welcome all feedback from existing or prospective clients, positive or negative.

We can't improve our service if we don't really know what you think.

Briefly, we are a new hairdressing salon called The Galleon.

We are at 20 Forest Hill Road, that's at the junction of Forest Hill Road, Dunstans Road and Colyton Road, opposite the last entry gate into Peckham Rye Park.

Our co-founder and head stylist is Mark Kay, formerly of Trevor Sorbie - Covent Garden.

He used to work alternate Saturdays at WillisB on Lordship Lane so if anyone has been wondering where he disappeared to in Jan/Feb, now you know.

We offer men's and women's cuts and colour.

For a price list, and to see all services offered, please go to our website:

www.galleonhair.co.uk - (going live this w/e).

A potted history of the amazing building where the salon is situated:

It's a late Georgian brick built detached villa, of a simplified Neo-Palladian design, with a Venetian window in the attic storey (an unusual feature for a townhouse of this era) which dates from c.a. 1813 as it appears on a map of Camberwell of that date.

The facade has been used as the template, in the late 19th century, of the terrace which climbs up Forest Hill Road towards Honor Oak, No 36 being famous as the birthplace of Boris Karloff, the iconic Hollywood Horror Film actor.

At some stage in the late Victorian era, the frontage of No 20 was altered with the two main rooms, at lower and upper ground floor level, becoming amalgamated into one and with the construction of a wrap around shop frontage which still exists today.

This became a public house - called The Albion - with the dwelling house above.

During the restoration of the shop frontage we discovered the original Toby Ales and Charrington's Ales signs under the boarding on the shop front.

We have deliberately kept the Toby jugs in gold leaf as they are hand painted and an example of traditional London pub art, now swiftly disappearing.

In the late 1930s, early 40s, the pub became a wine and beer merchants, hence the name The Galleon Wine Co Ltd etched into the glass on the upper shop windows, something else we have kept and where our shop name comes from.

The shop continued in this vein until the late 1980s, early 1990s, when it was closed up and slowly slipped into disrepair.

When we signed the lease, our main thought for the venue was to restore as much as possible of the original exterior as nothing but the bare brick walls remained internally.

Back now to 2013.

After 6 months of builders, drains, electricity and general chaos (including the rumour that Ann Summers was moving in), we are, FINALLY, open for business and are looking forward to seeing all/any who want to come in and see us.

If you're an architecture buff and just want to see the restoration works, that's fine, you don't have to get a haircut to come in.

In a few weeks time, in addition to the normal salon services, we will be offering for sale: some antique chairs, collector's boxes and bits along with handmade soaps from Provence in the reception area; bespoke jewelry and millinery in the styling area.

The huge empty wall spaces above will be for new art school graduates to use as exhibition space, with a private view evening (and a bit of vino of course) every so often for our clients.

We are striving to combine some good haircuts with some good conversation, and something interesting/attractive to see besides (and that's probably not referring to the staff... oops.)

The idea has always been to offer something a bit different, which hopefully people will take to and like.

We look forward to welcoming anyone who wishes to come, so please do.

To book an appointment please call us on 020 8613 1593.

I came on the forum last night looking for a hairdresser where I might be able to get a short notice appointment. This place is really close to my house so went in as soon as they opened this morning and got my hair cut straight away by Mark. I went from chin length bob to a much shorter cut and it's turned out great. They're clearly still settling into the premises but it's a lovely shop and Mark's a great hairdresser. I'll definitely be going back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Just wanted to post in support of this business. I had my second visit to the Galleon yesterday and had a very positive experience. I originally went in shortly after they opened for a trim and they did a great job on my long hair. Yesterday I went back in for a highlight with Chloe and she did an amazing job. Not only did they fit me in at the last minute, but Chloe managed to somehow work within my time frame, give me a great blow dry and most importantly did an incredible job highlighting/low-lighting my hair. She listened to what I wanted while offering her professional opinion and the end result came out great! I really could not be more pleased with the colour and service I recieved. The price was also extremely reasonable in comparison to other local salons. Great job, great customer service, excellent location and a beautiful atmosphere; so glad they're in the neighborhood!

We are pleased to announce today that our website has FINALLY gone live.

www.galleonhair.co.uk

We apologise unreservedly to anyone who has been trying to use our address to find out more information regarding our services.

Henceforth, we have joined the world wide web, and plan to stay as long as we're wanted!