Recommendation for joiner fitter builder - Joe Hickey

mummy007

I'd strongly recommend Joe Hickey.

He has just finished a job in our kitchen (bespoke cupboards and shelving) and it looks fantastic. Top quality job from an experienced builder.

He covers Brockley, Nunhead, Lewisham and of course Dulwich.

His number is 075 5794 9929.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Please avoid this tradesman. The doors Joe Hickey made for us look great but unfortunately we are likely going to have to take him to court. We ordered fire doors from him along with another set of doors totalling 3k. It has been more than 7 weeks since they were installed and he still hasn't provided the fire rating certificate required by building control. We have spoken to the manufacturer of the intumescent paint he says he used and a certificate is typically issued within 5 days. Foolishly we trusted him and paid him in full before the certificate was provided...

While trying to get clarification on what was going on we had multiple unreturned phone calls, texts and emails. Yesterday, when I informed we would be taking action, I finally got a response which was a string of bizarre texts.

The doors themselves are beautiful but not fit for purpose without the certification and Joe's communication and customer service is the worst I have had to deal with since the doors were installed.

• 3 months later...

As with motorbird83, we also had a negative experience with Joe Hickey. We had two fitted wardrobes constructed and fitted by Joe. All was well at first...

However, Joe seemed to rush through building our wardrobes and the final result and service we received was, in our eyes, not very professional.

Joe initially sanded and sawed the wood for the cupboards in our front and back yard. However, on the final day he decided to sand lots of wood in our bedroom, leaving wood dust covering everything including our bed! He did a very inadequate clean up of this afterwards leaving us to sleep the night in the dusty room and spend the whole next day cleaning the room.

Combined with this, he also badly scuffed our wooden floors and left a tennis ball sized hole in our bedroom wall which he quickly patched up with plaster filler...we then had to sand down and paint it ourselves.

The wardrobes themselves are ok, but some of the corners seem to have been finished in a rush and required us to sand them down ourselves.

Maybe we caught him at a bad time, but a bit of honesty about his other work commitments would have been helpful. We will not be using him again.

Please Avoid....I also have to agree with the previous comments. Please avoid this carpenter. His initial work was good & if it had been left at that then I would not have had a negative word to say. However, things did go wrong to which I received the worst and most unpleasant customer service from him. This dragged out for months.

Please learn from my unfortunate dealings with this man... Please Avoid!

• 2 weeks later...

Very unfortunately and frustratingly I have to report that even the build of the wardrobes is of poor quality. Having waited 3 months for them to be finished... I am unable to open two doors at once as the paint chips.

PLEASE DONT USE THIS "CARPENTER".

• 1 month later...
I'm really surprised as I have found joes work really good quality and reasonable price. He has completed quite a large bike shed and bin store for me recently that is very well built. I found him trustworthy and reliable so would have no reluctance to recommend him. Pm me if you'd like to see the work he did for me. I will be using him again for sure as he seems to grasp the design concept really well.

• 2 weeks later...
You are very welcome to come and see the work he has done for me. 7 complicated sliding doors and locks - all expertly fitted and trust me I picked the most difficult doors available! Also built an amazing outhouse that was designed by myself without any consideration to the complexity of the work involved. Joe worked tirelessly to get this right and we finished up with such a great piece of work that people keep walking by taking photos of! He also laid wooden floor and decking - I really can't recommend him highly enough. Come and see for yourself! Just pm me..

Joe still has not finished the work he was contracted to do after several failed promises to do so. We are getting the work done by someone else (in the final process for that) and then will finish filing a small claims against him.

Not only did he fail to do the job after saying he would (and I can provide the text emails for anyone who is interested as they are saved for the court case) but I also got a horrible torrent of abuse for asking for the work to be done.

I cannot warn people off Joe enough. And I say this as someone who has lived in Dulwich for 7 years and done a flat and full house renovation and never left a negative review for any tradesperson I have dealt with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You're more than welcome to come and see the work that Joe has quickly, efficiently, with good humour, politeness, upfrontness, honesty, and expertly done in our house in Nunhead. All for a reasonable price. Happy to post pictures if you would like. He comes highly recommended. Hen and Fi