Recommendation on loft extensions and conversions

bellmar

Hi,

I'd like to make a recommendation for Prestige Build, see my recent post here:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1183386

They completed a lovely loft extension and side return for us earlier this year. Contact the owner, Jay, directly on 07985 727 372 and check out their website http://www.prestigebuild.net

PM me if you need any other advice, I was new to it all before work began but now have at least a basic grasp of the procedures involved!

Good luck!

Ed

Hi,

We are Building Company who also specialize in loft conversions. We provide free quotes and free advice, also we can take care of all the matters of planning permission and building control.

Please feel free to view our website where you can find more info and photos www.avalonconstruction.org or 020 390 9838.

Good Luck

Dominika

Avalon Construction Ltd

I can also recommend Prestigebuild. They have recently finished a project with for me. Whilst I didn't have a loft conversion done, Jay and his team made it a thoroughly more enjoyable process than the company I used for the loft. Their work is to a great standard and they help you think through all the little things that you have not. I would certainly use them again/recommend them .

A link to my more detailed recommendation and the issues that they help us overcome

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1163390,1163390#msg-1163390

• 1 month later...
If you haven't already chosen your loft company, I can recommend A1 Lofts. We're in the middle of our loft and extension project now and its going great. They were recommended to us by a few people and we got to see some of their completed jobs and speak to their clients in private about the whole experience. I'm heavily pregnant and have to say they are looking after my job brilliantly and moving it along quickly.

Hey Bellmar,

I feel your pain! I'm in the middle of a roof conversion at the moment and it was such a headache getting to grips with all of the dots that needed to be joined before starting the project.

I called around the usual suspects (Classic Lofts, South London Lofts, A1 etc) though they all came with a kind of "one size fits all" solution. I've therefore gone with Urban Space (Michael Piludu, 07956 528 763/0208 670 2911) who've been awesome. They are competitively priced, have been brilliant at encouraging me to design the space that works best for me (special cubby holes to fit my favourite antiques, positioning of the doors so I can easily wheel my bike through the house etc). The project is moving really quickly...I'll definately re-use when I have a rear extension next year!)

PM me if you have any queries, alternatively please feel free to swing by to see the work in progress. I live on Silvester Road next to the sorting office.

Good luck!

Ce

• 2 weeks later...
Just to add our recommendation now that our loft is completed. We used LoftLife and really couldn't fault them. Spencer was great at responding to queries and concerns in the initial and quoting stages (his number is 07956 605516), Dan was a competent,knowledgeable and efficient project manager and the building team of Dave and Jake were a pleasure to have around, very hardworking, courteous and with client management skills to boot! Duncan also provided us some excellent extra carpentry work at a very reasonable cost and was also extremely efficient. Our loft now looks brilliant, we got what we wanted and it has transformed our living space. We had 3 quotes plus listened to numerous friends' recommendations and experiences and time and time again (including on our geeky scoring spreadsheet!) LoftLife came out on top in terms of workmanship and value for money. Highly recommended and we feel lucky to have been able to improve our home in this way.

• 3 months later...
I have just had a loft conversion done by Classic Lofts and found them really good.From the first fit carpenters (Mark and his son's) right through to the whole team of workmen I found them all good workers, clean and courteous.Like most people I was confused initially as to how you proceed with the project and was delighted to find that the people from Classic basically take care of all the drawings, bulding control , planning ect for you. Hugh came around several times to answer my questions and I found their quote very competitive. The work is now finished and I am very pleased with the result. They did the work on time, with no problems and any issues and snags that did arrive were put right promptly and without any hassel.They are a firm that have been around for a long time and were reommended to me by a friend who used them in Forest Hill. Now that I've experienced their work I feel confident in recommending them. I'm actually thinking of getting them back to do my kitchen.

I would recommend Lenny our local builder whom we use for practically everything, we wanted to convert our loft quickly and with as little disruption as possible as I was expecting my first baby last summer. We chose Lenny because his price was competitive and he seemed very professional, but also because his team just seemed incredibly nice. They started work when they said they would and they got the job done in time for baby?s arrival with the minimum of fuss and disruption. They were extremely considerate and what really impressed us was that Lenny was always available to answer our questions, no matter how inane they were. They did an excellent job and we love our new loft space

His number is 077 8000 4007

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Another recommendation for Classic Lofts. They did an excellent job on our loft conversion. We now have a large new bedroom and a good-sized new bathroom. All the work - planning, the actual building work and the finishing - was done professionally and to a high standard. Their craftsmen are highly skilled and, importantly, they responded well when we had questions or wanted something changed. They were also very nice. To be recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
I too, highly recommend Classic Lofts, the process of planning and conveyancing were pretty straight forward. The work was completed within timescale and to a very high standard. The builders were friendly,clean and tidy with minimum disturbance to the rest of the house. Hugh and Bernard were flexible, ensuring that the job was completed to my specification. I now have two reasonable sized bedrooms and a shower room, I am very happy with the result and standard of craftsmanship. I would use the company in the future for an garden extension.

• 3 months later...
I've just had a loft conversion completed by Classic Lofts and would happily recommend them. They have been very professional throughout and made all the right decisions without bothering me at all to make them for them. The least stressful building experience I have ever had. No quibbles over little issues in the house and a great finish. Overall a joy to work with and I'm really happy with my new rooms and bathroom.

• 2 months later...
We've just withdrawn from using Landmark Lofts (who are trying to move into the SE London market) as their after-sales conduct left us with no confidence in them or their ability to deliver. While their pre-sales service is very slick (one of the reasons we went with them was the fact that, of all the companies explored, they were the only one to actively follow up with us), after signing the contract we were the ones constantly having to follow up on queries/emails. Don't believe what their website says about their architects experience in dealing with the 'unique challenges' presented by loft conversions if you want anything other than a standard dormer ? we had to get another architect to put forward alternative possibilities more in line with what we were wanting which they then adopted. Also, if anyone is still considering using them, make sure you ask them about their project start policy before you sign the contract so you don't get any hidden surprises on timeframes and check that the version of the contract given to you to sign is the same as the one left to you for earlier reading.