Advice for Woodburning Stove

becibec

Hi,

I'm looking to get a woodburning stove installed. Ideally one I can conncect to the central heating. We don't have central heating yet. In a perfect world, there would be someone who can help me out with the whole lot - building work to make the hearth big enough for the stove, sorting the chimney out, installing stove and the boiler and hooking it all up together. On the assumption that's all a bit much to ask for (from what I can work out from google it is). Can anyone who has a woodburing stove let me know where they got it or recommend anyone that can help?? Many Thanks Becky

hi Becky, http://www.whichstove.co.uk/stoves/ and http://www.whatstove.co.uk/ are good places to have a look for reviews of stoves.

For London you will need to have a DEFRA approved stove which is allowed to burn wood in a smoke-free zone.

I have a feeling there may be some difficulty with fitting back boilers to DEFRA approved stoves?

A lot of the companies will do the whole lot for you.

Matt at CASA in Bellenden Road is a good person to talk to- he can see a job through from beginning to end, also BOB from Bob's JUNK EMPORIUM off Lordship Lane. and if you look at previous discussions on the forum there are some other recommended local companies.

Our installation was simple. Our builder had already removed a small 1930's fireplace which exposed the original large kitchen square hole behind, a space big enough to fit the stove.

We had a sweep (pearse and sons)to clean the chimney and test it to see if it needed lining. Lining is a good idea anyway.

We bought our CLEARVIEW stove from the Forest Bailiff in South West London (google for info)

We used Dennis the intaller , but could have used the Clearview installer - there wasn't a lot in it. He installed a liner, put a bird protector thing on the top of our chimney which also needed pot, One unexpected problem was he found old rubble had blocked the chimney ahd couldnt be dislodged with instruments. He had to penetrate our chimney breast in a kind of chimney caesarian, but made good the hole.

We love our stove- it is much more efficient than a fire and looks lovely. There were loads of good different-priced makes to choose from.

Cheap sources of wood are to get unseasoned logs from a tree surgeon and let them mature for the next year.

I'm sure lots of other people can add good advice.

I am looking at doing the same thing as you Becky. From my research there are only a few models that are both Defra and boiler stoves to do the water.

The models I found are Dunsley Yorkshire, Broseley Snowdon and Brosley Evolution.

Let me know if you find anything else of interest.