Sash window repairs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have recommended http://coresashwindows.co.uk/ elsewhere on the Forum, having got them to fit new double glazed sashes into our existing frames, which they refurbished (new cills, some other new timber spliced in to replace rotted timber, 2 yr guarantee on the refurbished carpentry) - 7 windows in total. They have also done some windows for friends who were very pleased, and I know of two other neighbours in the area who have had work done by them. We found them reasonably priced and straightforward to deal with.

They do refurbishment, draught proofing, replacement sashes, full new windows, doors etc. Draught proofing is only 5% VAT by the way - always worth asking/checking with companies.

Hi,

I'm looking to replace some sash windows in the flat I've recently bought.

Currently they're all wooden single glazed. Just wandering if anyone had any thoughts of wooden vs upvc and single vs double glazed?

have seen a few recommendations on here - core sash windows and bespoke windows - any others or any to avoid?

Many Thanks,

Jack

• 4 weeks later...
I had a disappointing experience with a local firm, so when I needed my next set of windows doing, I used these people http://thesashwindowman.com/ . The guy who did the quote turned up when he said they would, was very helpful in suggesting options for a weird window and provided quote in god time. Had to wait a little while for work itself as I needed some new sashes making but when the guys came they were efficient, tdy and seem to have done an excellent job. I'd use them again.

Anyone looking at sash windows - please do NOT use "Sash King" (run by Jim Johnston of "Alexander Johnston and Sons").

He installed some sash windows for us and 2 leak badly.

When we told him he was very unpleasant - said it wouldn't possibly his fault and refused to do any repairs. We have since had it confirmed the windows were incorrectly installed and we have paid someone else to fix them

(a lovely guy called Adam Kondrad - 07737 077769)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We at French and Sashey repair and replace Timber Windows and Doors. We Draughtproof sash windows, casement windows, front doors and french doors plus also offer painting as a separate service. We have a mobile workshop and apart from being fitted with onboard generator and solar panels, we make direct replacements on-site from within it as needed.

https://www.facebook.com/frenchandsasheywindows

www.frenchandsashey.co.uk

FREE QUOTES Work area is mainly SE22 and SE24 but willing to travel too, as far as Brighton

• 5 months later...
SashWindowMan. Did all our windows last year. Only do full refurbishment so not seeking to sell you windows. Did a brilliant job, All windows sorted, draught-proofed, new fittings and sashes, and freely opening and closing . Both the lads doing the work and the company were efficient and a delight to deal with. They're busy - you may have to wait a bit, but worth it.

Hi all,

Just seen this thread and noticed someone has recommended "the sash guy". I used him 6 months ago to fix my sash windows, it was a straight forward job that required him to fix the existing windows. I personally would not recommend him at all, his final price ended up much higher than the original quote charging ?600 for what ended up as 2 hours work.

There will be far better businesses out there for the job than "the sash guy".

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I am really pleased that Paul from Handy Glazing is back doing windows. We used him in two houses in Peckham and his workmanship is excellent, plus he is a delight to have around. He is refurbing a set of enormous school windows for us at the moment - and the work is meticulous. Happy to send pictures. Paul - 07980540287.

If anyone needs sash windows renovating, we would strongly recommend John Ramsey of Ramsey's Windows:

0791 236 1121

www.ramseyswindows.com

He is super professional and very pleasant to deal with. Always turned up on time and got on with our 2 year old daughter like a house on fire. He did all the windows at the back of our house and renovated our draughty front door too!