the patch

Niconico

The food was really disappointing. Tiny portions that didn't even make it as a starter - 7 chips, a teeny weeny bit of fish and a smear of sauce for a main course (vegetables/chips all extra which for the price was extortionate - double what it should have been). Lots of confusion in the bar too - its early days but it really needs sorting out. What a shame.

Did you talk to them Niconico?

We haven't been yet as we are not in ED at present but friends went last night and have said that the food was excellent!

Will let you know what we think as soon as we can get there, and if there are any problems we will speak to them directly!

Good luck Patch people and if the Masterchef crew came to ED that would give some positive publicity! Keri was a brilliant contest and and a worthy (joint) champ in my book!

I just had lunch at the Patch and really liked it. Very refined food and neatly presented...don't expect large portions of "standard" pub food but of you are after something special, it really does the trick. I look forward to seeing their full menu in due course (they are currently offering a limited "opening menu").

Good wine list, too!

Also ate there last night and was generally very pleased - delicious butter poached chicken with a lovely truffle sauce. Other half's beef cheeks were also delish although could have done with a bit more sauce. Wine list varied with a good selection by the glass. Service was very friendly and I'm sure will become a bit 'slicker' when they've all found their feet.

Had lunch with my family yesterday at the Patch. I can excuse the service for not being warmed up and trying to find their feet. However, the food was bland and seasoned which is a shame but can be improved (my kids refusing to eat the chips is a good indication).

However, management's/head waitress' attitude towards children was outright rude. ED is a great place to live and the fact that restaurants cater greatly to families with children is a major plus. If The Patch wants to establish itself in ED, I suggest they better change their stance towards families as otherwise they will lose out on many grand-/parents who want to take their children for lunch/dinner. A good rule is: if the children are happy, parents can relax, which leads to repeat business. I want them to succeed, so I hope they take some of my comments on board.

To be honest if there was a place that would not cater for kids i would go there more often!! I prefer to go out not having to put up with other people's kids running riot. I have been to Patch although not to eat. it is a work in progress but i thought it was not bad at all. I tried to go a few weeks back and there was a kid's party so i did a quick u turn and got out of there!!!

GoogleMe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A good rule is: if the children are

> happy, parents can relax, which leads to repeat business.

Yes, but surely as long as they are well behaved and don't disturb other customers too much.

GoogleMe Wrote:

> > A good rule is: if the children are

> > happy, parents can relax, which leads to repeat

> business.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Yes, but surely as long as they are well behaved

> and don't disturb other customers too much.

xxxxxxxxx

Agreed. My first thought was to wonder quite what the kids had done to cause the staff's attitude to be "outright rude"?

Because I can't believe they would be rude just because there were children there per se, provided the children were reasonably quiet and not running around the place.

Edited to make it clear that I'm agreeing with Jeremy, not GoogleMe !!

GoogleMe Wrote:

> Had lunch with my family yesterday at the Patch. I

> can excuse the service for not being warmed up and

> trying to find their feet. However, the food was

> bland and seasoned which is a shame but can be

> improved (my kids refusing to eat the chips is a

> good indication).

>

> However, management's/head waitress' attitude

> towards children was outright rude. ED is a great

> place to live and the fact that restaurants cater

> greatly to families with children is a major plus.

> If The Patch wants to establish itself in ED, I

> suggest they better change their stance towards

> families as otherwise they will lose out on many

> grand-/parents who want to take their children for

> lunch/dinner. A good rule is: if the children are

> happy, parents can relax, which leads to repeat

> business. I want them to succeed, so I hope they

> take some of my comments on board.

If you're going to complain then you need to be more specific. All this post does is make me assume that your kids were misbehaving.

When we've been in The Patch for a pint with our baby they've been very child-friendly each time. In fact, on our first visit the owner was a bit too friendly and took our 10 month old for a quick tour around the bar to show her interesting things to look at (although I thought it was a bit odd that he took her off round the corner out of our sight! That said my main worry was that not being able to see us might make her kick off and disturb others.)

I'm looking forward to trying the food soon. For now, I'm very happy to have the pub at the end of our road open again and I hope they make a success of it.

As for children being happy so parents can relax over a meal, isn't that the job of the parent to ensure? Perhaps I'm missing something - I'm not sure I really understand the point being made unless the staff were being rude to the children.

simonethebeaver Wrote:

> Anyone know if there's a menu online? I swear I've

> seen one before but no sign of one either on FB or

> their website.

Xxxxzx

There was one online. I posted it on the other recent Patch thread which is now in the lounge.

Maybe they took it offline when the restaurant opening was postponed, or maybe they changed it?

As it happens?here are some examples of their starters:

Unleavened bread with Chickpeas and braised lamb shoulder - ?5.75

Crab Croquettes - ?4.85

Parsnip soup and apple salsa - ?6.50

Fried chicken with green chilli mayo - ?5.50

And some of their mains:

Marinated artichoke hearts, butternut squash and prosciutto salad - ?13.00

King oyster mushrooms, Gorgonzola and walnut gnocchi - ?13.50

Roasted root vegetables, Yourshire Fettle, toasted seeds - ?12.50

Braised beef cheeks and macaroni gratin - ?15.50

Butter poached chicken, ricotta, spinach and truffled onions - ?15.00

So starters from ?3.50 to ?6.50 and mains from ?12.50-?15.50. Desserts ?4-ish. That's good value for London. And yes, TWO veggie options on this weeks menu. Both should keep the moaners happy. Menu will change, usual disclaimer etc

Thanks to the missus for bringing one back and making me hungry.

• 2 weeks later...

I also need to know their Sunday Lunch menu, We googled them but their website is sadly not complete.

Could they please Perhaps post a sample menu on the forum like Mr Ben has kindly done?

Also I agree that its up to the parents to keep their kids happy.

And I hate to admit that I'm somewhat in agreement with JimH in that I want to eat in a restaurant not in a creche.

• 2 months later...