Moving a Gas Meter?

davidq100

Hello, we are about to begin some building work, and among other things looking to have our gas meter moved by about 5 ft. Seems like this can only be done by/through the gas provider (NPower...). Anyone had any experience in doing the same (cost, who's able to move it etc etc)? Can a local business do the work?

you have to contact your gas supplier for a quote. They will send someone to have a look and estimate your job. It could cost you 'as little' as ?200-?300 but I know some people who paid more than ?1000 for gas meter moving.

In some cases gas meter moving could be done free of charge....

>>>>if you are on your energy supplier?s Priority Services Register and find it difficult to access your meter, you may be able to have it moved free of charge.

You won't have to pay if your supplier needs to move your meter as part of a programme to replace old meters<<<

more info here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/consumer_s/consumer_energy_and_water_supply_e/consumer_energy_supply_e/consumer_energy_and_your_home_e/consumer_energy_work_e/moving_your_gas_or_electricity_meter_or_changing_your_connection.htm

We are in the process of doing this and it's going to cost ?888! And we have to arrange a gas safe engineer to hook it back up to our boiler after Southern Gas Networks have moved it outside. Total rip off. When I questioned the charge I was told "that's the price of doing work in london". Outside London I was told the charge would be around ?500.

https://ukgasb2c.natgrid.co.uk/b2c_ng/b2c/start.do;jsessionid=EAzZfqLSDEGQ2FMFjnJckdluZAfAQwG7zUwD_SAPcFSmRRHWlsGVNlSVCyhL-oyc;saplb_*=(J2EE55365020)55365051

I've tried to copy the link above (am using a phone so not sure it worked). You have to put your postcode in this bit of the national grid website and they will tell you who is responsible for connections in your area. It is not necessarily your supplier. Then you contact this company to move your meter. You can't get anyone other than them to do it - total monopoly hence the price.

We renovated our kitchen 6 years ago & we had a gas meter moved from inside the kitchen to outside our house. We're with British Gas but apparently the pipes are owned by Southern so it was actually them that we needed to contact. We waited a good couple of months for the work to be done & it cost just over ?2000. It was a 1 day job & I felt this was extremely overpriced! But, we needed the meter moved in order to knock down a wall so we could design our dream kitchen. Southern had the monopoly so had us well & truly by the short & curlies!!

Agree with the overpriced rip off monopoly that appears to exist for this - unfortunately it's true - (unless you can get a builder - ahem- to move it for you but you might not get the safety certificates you require and unless you sell undetected, it's a right hole of a situation)

All,

There is a common misconception that these works can only be undertaken by your energy provider.

The works can be carried out by approved utilities contractor that are registered on the lloyds register.

Further information can be found here http://www.lr.org/sectors/utilities/

Energy providers are notoriously expensive and quote huge lead times.

Hope this helps

Does your supplier have to carry out the work?

Some parts of the work for moving a meter have to be done by your supplier. This is called non-contestable work.

Other parts of work can usually be carried out by someone else, such as a registered electrician or gas engineer. This is called contestable work.

Details:- http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/consumer_s/consumer_energy_and_water_supply_e/consumer_energy_supply_e/consumer_energy_and_your_home_e/consumer_energy_work_e/moving_your_gas_or_electricity_meter_or_changing_your_connection.htm

Source CAB Citizens Advice Bureau.

DulwichFox

Minor, inconclusive update... I spoke to NPower (after a very long wait on the phone). Seems that there's wo options: move it 1.5 metres or less and NPower can move it themselves. Over 1.5 metres then it's handled by Transco.

Happily we only need to move the meter by about 1 metre :) I requested the price and to make an appointment. The (very friendly) phone agent then said that it takes 'upto 90 working days' for the NPower appointment... that's June! She said that the operations department will call me back to arrange an appointment and to advise whether any charge will apply. She made it sound like there might not even be a charge, but that would seem incredibly unlikely.

So the plot thickens. It certainly sounded like the sub 1.5m option would be cheaper... Still all rather vague.com.

• 1 month later...
Minor update for anyone interested. After getting no call back from NPower I ended up speaking with them again at the weekend and was given the specific number for the gas meter moving dept. Called them on Monday and much to my amazement an engineer is coming round next Monday to move the meter. And apparently it will indeed be FREE! Happy days.

• 10 months later...