Looking for a really good and motivating personal trainer in ED

Tink123

Hi I wonder if anyone can recommend a highly professional and inspiring PT?

I have tried a couple, one was unreliable, another said he was retiring soon and just didn't seem to care about results, I am female and not really looking for the army style "shout me into submission" style, but someone who knows how to get a feminine, lean physique and can help me train smarter, and obviously get the result!

Any recommendations with a bit of a testimonial of how they helped you/results they helped you achieve would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks!

I highly recommend Obi from Bamn Fit!

He's based down near the big Sainsburys on Dog Kennel Hill which I find really handy now I have progressed from home training to gym training.

I started training with Obi a few years ago when he helped me get back in shape after having my first baby, he is really accomodating and reliable, I was very nervous when I started training and he has been such a great support.

Several of my friends also train with him now and we have all had great experiences.

Great trainer, really supportive and always motivates you when sessions get tough, and I feel and look better now than I did before I had my daughter! He really knows his stuff and has been on several courses since I've been training with him to improve his knowledge.

He has a website www.bamn-fit.com or you can contact his partner Rachel on 0208 226 6199. She is lovely too :)

I can thoroughly recommend Gokay. He is not only extremely knowledgeable but is also a genuinely nice guy and 100% reliable. He really listens to what you want and not only supports you in your training but will help you with your nutrition and makes your programme actually sustainable and realistic to fit in with your lifestyle.

The sessions are really varied and he really knows how to motivate you and keep you on track.

His website is http://www.yourlocalpersonaltrainer.co.uk and he comes highly recommended.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend my personal trainer, AJ (of Balance for Life) who I know works with quite a few EDF members. I started working with AJ over a year ago, after I had my second baby.

What stands out about AJ is her genuine interest in health AND fitness, coupled with her ability to thoroughly assess your need and tailor your fitness regime appropriately. Her focus is on a lifestyle change and long-term solutions rather than a quick-fix approach.

Her sessions are not just tailored but very versatile, with sessions taking place at my home or in the park.

l'm clearly a very happy client with excellent results to show for it, as are others (see link to other testimonials):

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,959414,1211213#msg-1211213

Feel free to get in touch via PM if you would like additional information.

I would recommend trying out Community Circuits in Herne Hill near the station - it is a class rather than PT (but they do PT too from ?35 per hour - I haven't tried PT with them but friends who have recommend them). The first class is FREE and tehn ?10 per class or ?69 for 10 (which you can take over whatever period you want) or ?395 for a year of unlimitted circuits. [www.communitycircuits.com] It has the advantage that you can meet the instructors first by doing a couple of classes before deciding which one would suit you best for PT.

I have been going for over 3 years - before I started I did very little exercise since school (getting a D4 in every school PE report does little to instill a love of sport!) and I have got so much fitter since then. The instructors who run and own it, Neil and Jonny, and the other instructors Anne and Rowan are lovely and very encouraging and friendly - it is much more personal than going to a chain/corporate gym. I think it is a nice compromise between PT which is quite expensive and gym membership which is inflexible. not having to pay monthly or a joining fee or commit to a whole year is a definite advantage. If you come along to a few classes and you decide that PT is for you then you will know which instructor would suit you best. The people who go to the classes are very varied - from school pupils to pensioners and rugby players to house wives. I do hope to see you there!

Alternatively I would highly recommend [www.urbanfitandfearless.com] - it is a self defence class but includes quite a bit of fitness training - if you come along for a month you will definitely get fitter. Classes are on wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings on Bellenden Road and Patrice is an ace instructor and the classes are cheap - first one FREE then ?40 for 5 or ?60 for 10 - and you get to learn a skill that might save your life - I used what I learned to stop a fight on the mean streets of Herne Hill. Patrice also does personal training for ?35 an hour so you could come to a free class, decide if you like the activity and instructor before deciding if you want to do PT.

I hope these recommendations help.

If you want more info PM me and send me your number

Good luck getting fit - having got a lot fitter over the last few years with these two classes and would definitely say it is worth it.

AVOID the personnal trainers who are based next to Hern hill station!!

two brothers are running the business. Perhaps they improved by now, or closed down (one the brother looked better trainer than the other I had to be honest)

I wanted to get back to sport last year, my husband offered me 20 lessons for mother day .... result: total disaster!

The guy I had, was useless, taping on his phone while I was doing excercices (and no counting my squats, etc, so not very encouraging),

He came to my house 4 times, and 2 without any equipments as he forgot it at the studio....

he cancelled me every three time around, last min with stupid excuces (I did a football match yesterday and I am in pain today, I have to rest...Really? I was not trainning for olympic games!!especially as he just showed me once the excercice at every lesson and then just Watch me... or his phone!lol)

Also often, he was yawning , looked tired...so not very enthousiastic, dynamic (as at that time I needed somebody motivated)

I hated roping and each time he made me doing it, instead of finding something different, making work the same muscles, but more fun for me...

He made me so upset that I gave up after 12 sessions as I couldn't stand him anymore...

This Herne hill studio/personnal trainers was affordable compare other personnal trainers fees some of my friend employ, but very bad, so better to take less lessons with the right person!!

this company was recommanded to me by a friend who just started with them at that time. The trial session and 1st one were good, but as soon as he received payment, it changed!

she also had issues with them, argued with the guy (we had the same personnal trainer) and she decided to give him a chance and she finsihed her contract... (even if you don't sign any contract in reality ,just bank transert)...

I can highly recommend Darren Gray. I've worked with him for just over a year, and i am delighted with what we've achieved. Every session is different, he has always kept me motivated and he is 100% reliable. He also works out of a private studio, so if like me, you are a bit apprehensive about getting back in the gym (i hadn't been in one in 20 years) darren's studio is a great. His number is 07904 331044

Definitely AJ from Balance for Life.

She is so passionate about what she does and makes every session really effective but fun as well. She's very flexible - sometimes i see her once a week, sometimes more, but she's always in touch with me with advice and tips.

She really knows her stuff and you'll definitely get results - her email address is [email protected].

Without hesitation, I can highly recommend AJ from Balance for Life. She's a personal trainer, and more. Advising on health and nutrition, training practice and ideas to use outside of the training session itself.

She tailors each workout to your individual needs and keeps them fun and fresh but most importantly, she gets results.

her email address is [email protected].

hels Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Definitely AJ from Balance for Life.

> She is so passionate about what she does and makes

> every session really effective but fun as well.

> She's very flexible - sometimes i see her once a

> week, sometimes more, but she's always in touch

> with me with advice and tips.

> She really knows her stuff and you'll definitely

> get results - her email address is

> [email protected].

AJ is lovely :)

I completely disagree with the above comments on Community Circuits at Herne Hill. I am not sure who trained you but both Neil and Johnny have trained me as personal trainers and I have found them to be very motivational. They have incorporated things I like doing ( such as boxing ) into the sessions and have avoided things I do not like ( bike machine ) . Finding a good personal trainer is about striking up a good two way relationship with someone and feeding back to them. I have found them both very open and as a result the sessions have worked for me. I now attend their circuit classes but sometimes use them for PT sessions if I feel I need more motivation or cant make the circuit classes.

If they didn't work for you then I am sorry but publically slating them on this forum does not do them justice. They have created a real sense of community through their work and their classes in Herne Hill and the people I have met Through community circuits are re all very happy with them and have improved their fitness and attitudes to exercise thanks to them .

One of the best thing about them is that they are very flexible and good value . I would highly recommend both of them as personal trainers and their classes.

Forum is about positive or negative opinion, we have to accept both of them.

Otherwise everything is wonderful is this perfect world...

I am glad for them they have happy clients too :)

Now this post has bad and positive comment about them, justice is done and people can try to have their own experience with them, cool!

HI

I agree that it is good to have both positive and negative views about businesses so we can get a balanced perspective and personal training is just that - personal - a trainer who suits one person won't suit another.

My experiences of Community Circuits lead me to agree with Helen - I have been training with Neil and Jonny for four years and have found them really good - if you want to try them for yourself to see if they would suit you come along to a class - your first class is free so there is nothing to lose. Lots of people have been going to their classes and personal training for several years so they must suit lots of people.

I would also recommend Rowan Westwell who is very enthusiastic http://www.personaltrainerrow.com/

I also second the recommendation of Anne Fison - her exercises are tough but very effective and she is friendly and encouraging.

HI,

I have nothing but praise for them, they adapt a program to suit your needs/medical conditions etc.

I have no problem in recommending them, they go that extra mile..

Plenty of trainers out there, just find one that fits your bill and what you want out of it.

You have to be honest with them and then they adapt to your needs.

Hi there. Probably a bit late to jump onto this conversation. Hello anyway! I'm Damon. I'ma personal trainer and class instructor with 16 years' experience. I have access to a PT studio in West Dulwich. I am Pilates qualified as well as a Personal Trainer. With a first class honours degree in Sport & Exercise science, I have also tutored, trained and assessed other fitness instructors. My website is www.dulwichpilates.com. There are recommendations there from my clients. TTFN! Damon :)

07939 550779 / [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, thank you all for your recommendations- as you can see another month has gone by without me making any progress so I will now read through all these comments fully and make enquiries- thanks again for your suggestions, I feel more motivated just reading them! And RWellman, I got a D4 in P.E. nearly every term!

AJ and Obi sound good.

Thanks

Tink123

• 3 weeks later...

I can really recommend Neil Cooper from Body Active PT. He has been brilliant. Really motivating, he understands when to push me and how hard and I've been so pleased with the results. Personally, I went to him to help me lose weight and just improve my overall fitness and with his help I've made great progress, much more than I would have been able to achieve on my own!

Here is a link to his ad http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1300230

• 1 month later...