The New Cherry Tree (the start of a new era)

Ryan 1988

Dear East Dulwich Residents and Forum user's,

I would first like to take the opportunity to introduce myself, my name is Ryan Macdonald and I have taken over the running of the Cherry Tree.

Upon arriving at this venue I was made aware of this forum by local businesses as I was going around introducing myself as the new manager of this establishment.

I have now had the pleasure of seeing the stigma that has been attached to this wonderful public house, I understand that everyone has the right of opinion and I am grateful as it gives me an insight to the views of the locals whom I would like to cater for.

The reason I am joining this forum is to try and be a part of your community as I feel all public houses have a duty to provide an excellent service to its neighbouring residents, I also want to inform you that there is going to be a big change as well.

I can not take responsibility for any past events that have taken place but would like to let you know that I am taking command of this ship and now currently in a position to deal with anything that has relation to this venue.

I would like to welcome all residents and users of this sight to come and see me in person if you would like to become more familiar with myself and my head chef.

I have worked in some of London's top venues including the Club at the Ivy, The Lockhart and Mayfair's oldest public house The Running Horse.

My head Chef has worked in Mayfair for 34 and the Lockhart, as well as being trained in Michelin Star establishments in Cornwall and also doing stages for well known Chefs.

Our combined age is 46, this means were are young full of ambition and very open minded. We pride ourselves on our attitude, work ethic and service.

We are looking to draw in all of our experience to provide East Dulwich with an excellent venue whether your popping by for a coffee before work or coming in for a nice meal in the evening.

I think that everyone should be given a chance to show what they are capable of and not to be written off instantly, if you cast your mind back you might know that Elvis was turned down by record labels before he became the King of Rock and Roll meaning someone gave him a chance.

Please take the time to see what we have to offer and do not hesitate to come in for a chat.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to journey ahead.

This is a big ship with plenty of space so all are welcome aboard.

Yours Sincerely

Ryan Alexander Macdonald

The Manager of the Cherry Tree

Hi Ryan. Isn't the truth of the matter that you are just the manager and have to do what Tony and Gary tell you to? Isn't it true that you cannot do anything without their permission and say so? Plus they are still there on a daily basis 'overseeing it all'? Basically you are the new manager. Good luck!

Ryan

Best of luck. And if you truly have control of the venue then you should do well. But if the same owners are still in place, please don't take it personally when people say they have heard it all before

If those owners are still in place, I'm sure YOU have heard horror stories about previous managers. You would be well advised to take those with a pinch of salt

It would be easy (and probably accurate) to just badmouth them. But equally it feels wrong to not warn an innocent of the problems he (and his employees) are about to face.

All the best of luck to you Ryan, judging by the revolving door management at the Cherry Tree you will need it.

People do not have a problem with this establishment, it is specifically the owners and how they seem to treat their staff and customers that people have an issue with.

I am afraid that I for one will not be setting foot in the Cherry Tree until the current owners have sold the place. I would not be happy for any of my dosh to line their pockets.

All the best reeko

It's very true. Decent Managers and good Chefs have been left distraught dealing with the owners.

It seems an impossible task to work with them. People have simply refused to go through the door.

You will not rewarded for all your good work.

Having said that, hope you can get through to them and make it work.

DulwichFox

Ryan no-one wants to see anyone else get treated the way previous managers have been. Did the threads you read not ring alarm bells? If you can secure work elsewhere then please do think of yourself and avoid this place, you can't change it until the current owners leave. Until then most local people will avoid the place like the plague, sadly. Good luck with whatever you decide.

OMG I've only just seen this.

Deja vu indeed.

Are you still employed there, Ryan, or is it about to be the start of yet another new era?

Very sorry, but after the way Chris and Antonia (and their chef) in particular were treated, wild horses wouldn't drag me over the threshold of that pub unless there was a change of ownership.

I would otherwise have been extremely happy to give you and your team a chance, of course, but the owners have had too many chances already, and there's no way I'd give them a penny of my money. Sorry. I hope, against all the odds, it works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Even Gordon Ramsay wouldn't stand a chance of changing that lot.

The owners have got a pub in a prime location near the station and the football ground and on many bus routes which could do really well, let alone get the Lordship Lane overspill.

Chris and Antonia were showing just what a pub there with an excellent chef and a good range of decent ales could do, except they weren't given a chance to follow through. We were choosing to go there for lunch on Saturdays and Sundays because the food was so good.

I just cannot understand why, except for pig-headedness, the owners don't sell up, take the money, and let somebody else make a go of it.

Oh well, pigs might fly I suppose, to continue the pig theme ......

I do wonder if the new manager has been silenced or sacked. I've only ever been once and it was dead. But it's a prime location, great venue and could be fantastic. I haven't been in 3 years due to the horror stories I've heard. It's such a shame that such a great venue is being ruined by some tight and nasty individuals. Good luck to the new managers and all the best. I do hope they turn it around!

I drink in there every now and then. It doesn't seem to do much in the way of business except when Hamlet are at home and there is a big match on the box. I have the odd football related conversation with the son but only nodding terms with his dad. They seem to want to move away from the day to day running of the pub but loathe letting anyone get on with it. This is a terrible shame because as others have said on this thread, the prime location should make it a licence to print money. Not to mention it deprives the area of (a)nother decent pub to drink in. They obviously liked having the pub judging by the various face-lifts they have given the place over the years, but I wonder if this is also why they find it difficult to let go.