Shameful levels of missed appointments DMC

worldwiser

I know there's a huge amount of grief on this forum to do with service at DMC. But as we were leaving the surgery today we noticed a sign saying there are 50 missed appointments a week. FIFTY. I'm absolutely stunned. A poor mother with a young daughter with a hole in the heart was at her wits' end in reception trying to get seen and there are 50 people a week who could have given her their slot if they'd had the basic humanity to make a phone call. The NHS is far from perfect but when such a precious resource is treated with such disrespect I say shame on all who do so.

That might sound like a lot of missed appointments in absolute terms, but lets say there are 6 doctors/nurses and 10 mins allocated per appointment, open 8-6 every day. This is 1800 appointments a week, so <3% no show rate. That may be high or low compared with other practices, and the numbers may not be precise, but it's not a lot. I suspect that if people could get through on the phone they might find it easier to give notice of cancellation.