best gym to join?

tommomc

What would people recommend as the best gym to join in the area, in terms of value for money and what the gym has to offer.

I work in Dulwich and want to join a gym I can go to before or after work, because if I go home first i'll get comfortable and spend the night in front of the tv lol.

These two classes aren't exactly gym but would be quite complementary to joining a gym - I have been doing them for 3 years without joining a gym and have gone from being very unfit to moderately fit

Community Circuits in Herne Hill near the station. The first class is FREE and then ?10 per class or ?69 for 10 (which you can take over whatever period you want) or ?395 for a year of unlimitted circuits. [www.communitycircuits.com]

I have been going for over 3 years - before I started I did very little exercise since school (getting a D4 in every school PE report does little to instill a love of sport!) and I have got so much fitter since then. The instructors who run and own it, Neil and Jonny, and the other instructors Anne and Rowan are lovely and very encouraging and friendly - it is much more personal than going to a chain/corporate gym.

Alternatively I would highly recommend [www.urbanfitandfearless.com] - it is a self defence class but includes quite a bit of fitness training - if you come along for a month you will definitely get fitter. Classes are on wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings on Bellenden Road and Patrice is an ace instructor and the classes are cheap - first one FREE then ?40 for 5 or ?60 for 10 - and you get to learn a skill that might save your life - I used what I learned to stop a fight on the mean streets of Herne Hill. Patrice also does personal training for ?35 an hour so you could come to a free class, decide if you like the activity and instructor.

I hope these recommendations help.

If you want more info PM me and send me your number

Good luck getting fit - having got a lot fitter over the last few years with these two classes and would definitely say it is worth it.

• 6 months later...

Hey check this out...

The JAGS Sports Club Gym has under gone a complete transformation. Gone are the boring grey walls and old equipment and in its place they have a stunning feature wall and a full range of cardio machines to die for.

Fancy jogging through the Rockies? Or cycling down the Champs-?lys?es...well now you can (albeit virtually).

Or maybe you want to work out and watch your favourite film on your Netflixx account or even send an email as you cross-train yourself into shape. Well now you can with the most up to date and state of the art machines on the market and they are now at JAGS.

If you don?t go for that fancy stuff then there are plenty of great applications on the machines for you to monitor your fitness and progress so go take a look or visit their website http://www.jagssportsclub.co.uk/facilities/main-gym/