TMS Builders

We used NU space for our kitchen extension and it was a completely nightmare. The project was delivered several month after the agreed date, and the extension had leaks and all different other problems that we ended fixing ourselves because neither NU Space nor the builders were taking responsibility. Before contracting NU Space, we searched for reviews online but we did not find any, a part of the reviews they have on their site. We have run some further checks lately and we found out that many other customers have been left with very bad lofts and extensions, with leaks, structural problems and all sorts of issues. We have found out that NU Space applies an aggressive sales model, quoting cheap prices to get lots of business and providing extremely poor standards. Customers are attracted by NU Space competitive prices not realising that they will get awful results and a very stressful experience.

We found out that the owner of NU Space was previously trading under the name of Chappell Build Ltd in Harrow; we wonder why they had to change name. Good Business creates a brand by providing excellent services. What sort of business would be constantly changing name unless they had to because of bad reputation. NU space from Fulham seems to be trying to attract further customers using the website yourloftconversionlondon.co.uk

We had a very similar experience with NUSpace, the loft conversion company based in Fulham that also takes on kitchen extensions. We had innumerable issues with both NUSpace and the builders they assigned to our project.

They are very much a hard sales pitch company. We requested several quotes from different building companies, but we chose NUSpace because it was recommended by a friend who used them on her loft conversion (now she has structural issues and NUSpace is not taking care of solving them) and because it was the cheapest of all the quotes.

There is fundamentally and morally something very wrong about how NUSpace operates. At the initial meetings the slick salesman promises that NUSpace would be taking care of everything, and they would manage the project end-to-end ensuring that all goes smoothly and that they will deal with everything till all building certificates are granted. Nothing further from the truth, they subcontract everything at apparently the cheapest price and make you deal with most of the matters.

In the planning stages the architects NUSpace subcontracted made two considerable mistakes that had to be rectified at later stage at our cost. The worse was the team of builders they assigned to our project. They were also subcontracted and we had no input in the decision process. After the initial meeting between the NUSpace Project Manager, Luke Carroll, the builders and us, we were left to deal with them. When we wanted to express our concerns about any matters NUSpace Project Manager hardly ever took any notice or action and he hardly ever visited the building site. The builders were continuously complaining about the price agreed with NUSpace, and they were always increasing the amount we had to pay by adding extras, that we could not argue because they continuously threatened us with walking off. Actually at the final stages they did, they went into other projects and we were left for months with an unfinished kitchen extension and stuff all around the house. When finally we got almost all finished we were not happy with the results and we had weeks of endless discussions with the builders, the owner of the company and the project manager.

When finally we got all the paper work and we thought we could forget about them and the experience, however started to have problems as a result as the builders cutting corners and using cheap materials.

Graham Chappell, the owner of the company, excused all his responsibility behind a carefully worded contract, and blaming all the issues on the builders that they have selected on the only basis of reduced price. I am not surprised about Lyonel post. Shame on Graham Chappell, what a crook! He does not only prey on decent families that have saved for years, destroying their dreamt homes, he might also be endangering lives by NUSpace low quality works

• 2 years later...

this guy Tomaz Smigielski is a con artist he digs holes appears to be doing something, once you transfer money he `s a goner. you have been warned

-------------------------------------------------------

> We used NU space for our kitchen extension and it

> was a completely nightmare. The project was

> delivered several month after the agreed date, and

> the extension had leaks and all different other

> problems that we ended fixing ourselves because

> neither NU Space nor the builders were taking

> responsibility. Before contracting NU Space, we

> searched for reviews online but we did not find

> any, a part of the reviews they have on their

> site. We have run some further checks lately and

> we found out that many other customers have been

> left with very bad lofts and extensions, with

> leaks, structural problems and all sorts of

> issues. We have found out that NU Space applies an

> aggressive sales model, quoting cheap prices to

> get lots of business and providing extremely poor

> standards. Customers are attracted by NU Space

> competitive prices not realising that they will

> get awful results and a very stressful experience.

>

> We found out that the owner of NU Space was

> previously trading under the name of Chappell

> Build Ltd in Harrow; we wonder why they had to

> change name. Good Business creates a brand by

> providing excellent services. What sort of

> business would be constantly changing name unless

> they had to because of bad reputation. NU space

> from Fulham seems to be trying to attract further

> customers using the website

> yourloftconversionlondon.co.uk

Hi All.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Sadly you are not the only ones to fall foul of these practices and even more disappointing is that the justice system is not very well setup to deal with these rogue traders in the way that it should.

See separate posting below with similar experiences. (And not out of the back of a foreign van in this case!)

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1576596,1692537#msg-1692537

Hi All

I haven't had an awful experience with this builder because I haven't used him but I have had terrible experiences with a number of tradesmen. I've made an appointment with my MP because I'm sick of being conned, threatened and abused. I also own buy to let property so I have had more than my fair share of incompetent tradesman. I could live for a year on the money I've given these guys only to have to pay out all over again or just forget about improving my property.

I'm going to discuss poor workmanship with my MP including threats, incompetence, dangerous structures the list is endless. I'm not sure what will come out of the meeting but I'll be discussing a central register for tradespeople with an accreditation process. Also tighten up on tradespeople hiding behind mailing addresses and company dissolution only to start again the next day with a clean slate.

I don't think trading standards does a good enough job to protect the homeowner and with the time, effort and cost involved in taking a tradesman to court it can end up just not worth it. The tradesperson knows this and that's why they continue to trade abysmally for years.

I'd be really grateful if you'd email me with a short summary of the problems you've experienced so that I can use the information in my meeting with my MP. I won't mention any names - either yours or the builders.

my email address is [email protected]

Thanks

Tracey

• 2 weeks later...

dulwichbornandbred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do not use this builder: Tomasz Smiegelski, TMS

> Builders, 07533230982. I employed him in August

> to build my extension, measuring 3m x6m. He dug

> the foundations, with help of school leavers,

> after asking for ?10,000 up front. He then left

> the job thus ripping me off to the tune of approx

> ?7,000. Anyone know a good solicitor??

To dulwichbornandbred

Im Taking TMS builders Tom Smigielski To court

• 3 months later...
Hi everyone seems like Tomasz Smigielski change his company name and is still doing same things : being agresive , taking money and not finishing the jobs. I done some research on him and find more people being riped by him recently and i know where he is working now i know the address of his last tree jobs and the current one. Now he is driving white Vauxhall Vivaro. He not only dont do his job he as well not pay to his workers. This man must be stopped !!!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi

I am really sorry for what happened to you, I got similarly screwed over by this man just this week.

Any luck with taking him to court? Do you have his address? He has given me his but I am not sure if he gave me a proper one since he is such a fraudster?

I am Polish myself so checked Polish google as well and he is wanted in Poland for fraud.

Very keen to get in touch.

Thanks

Magda