Dog Owners: A cautionary tale. The case of the non-walking dog walker

krustyloaf

Last Friday, I was working from home in my bedroom. I heard the dog walker come in and say hello to my dog. I heard him leave and lock up. About 15 minutes later I went into the living room. And lo, on the sofa was my wee dog, wagging away. But how could this be? I pay someone to walk my dog, I heard him in my house not 15 minutes previously saying hello to her. I noticed that he had however moved the lead to make it look like she had been walked. Isn?t he clever?

We couldn?t quite believe the cheek of it.

So come Monday, my partner did the same again and disgustingly so do he. Greets dog, moves lead, goes.

On Wednesday I came back from work early to speak to him. I asked how my dog had been on her walk on Monday, oh fine he said. And Friday? No problems at all. I asked whether he might want to rethink those answers in the knowledge that we had been in the house both days and know without a shadow of a doubt he did not walk our dog. He didn?t even take her out for a wee. He denied my claims. He insisted he had taken her out. He finally admitted to Monday as he?d had a problem with his car and ?thought he could get away with it?. That?s the number one competency I?m looking for in someone I trust with the most important thing in my life right there. The ability to get away with not doing the one thing I pay you for. Well he didn?t get away with it. At that point, every other thing he said was worth nothing.

I know the horror that you, dear dog owner and lover are now experiencing. Thinking about the betrayal of trust, the impact that this might have had on your dog, the money that you might have been defrauded out of, your poor poor dog. Despite it being a clear case of animal neglect and cruelty, the RSPCA aren?t interested but I know that many of you will be as the thought of this happening to your dog is too much to contemplate.

We?ve since had a letter from our ex-dog walker. Apparently our abuse of him led him to this. We asked him why our dog was clean (he said he ?thought about dirtying her up to get us off his back?!), we asked him to do walks at short notice (something freelancers will be aware of the need for), sometimes our requests inconvenienced him (then just say no, we weren't forcing you), we often checked his bill (it was occasionally incorrect, too much and too little) we didn?t get him a Christmas card (we don?t do Christmas cards), we didn?t pay him when he was on holiday (seriously folks??). It is almost like we were paying him for a service, isn?t it disgusting? Turns out that we might have been paying him for a service that he wasn?t providing?..on those two days that we have proof of at least.

Best not say any more but if you or your friends have Eric York or Eric Leach (he goes by both) walking your dog then I?d think about hiding in your bedroom too. It?s horrifying what you might find out.

I've seen Eric around, walking small groups of dogs, sitting on bench halfway up Cox's Walk having a fag, but not very often!

I have talked to him and he told me that he has no dog walkers insurance, and I've been left with the impression that he's not very professional. He has 2 small dogs himself but I've never seen him out with them and I'm out a lot with my dog and I walk everywhere.

Maybe those needing a dog walker have to check a bit more closely. And if my dog walker brought my dog back home clean I'd want to know why too!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately there are some honest, trustworthy and reliable dog walkers. Although this account of your experience with one that isn't, I'm glad that you raised this on here so that any other people that may be being conned, will be able to rethink their options of who they can trust.

I will admit my only experience of this man was a negative one, but in this thread from 18 months ago, his work ethic was called into question! http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,947198,page=1

• 4 weeks later...

Omg wtf ! I employed Eric to walk my dog for 1 year and upon reflection I used to come home to papers ripped up and toys destroyed and I bet he never took him out at all ;( he have me references and I checked those and he was glowingly reviewed . But maybe he didn't walk their dogs either .

Gutted to read this review ;(

• 5 weeks later...
Just saw this thread today - what a terrible experience! Your poor dog :-( If anyone is looking for a reliable dog walker - I second the recommendation above for Kamila. She has been walking our dogs for years and is totally trustworthy and highly recommended. Her number is 07971 141 197