Dietician needed

chatterb0x

Hi Guys,

I hopped on the whole 'new years resolutions' this year and decided I was once and for all going to lose my love handles and bingo wings. I have been on a diet and going to the gym 3/4 times a week since the beginning of January and I haven?t lost a bean!

I need help with this as I am about to give up all hope!

Breakfast - Porridge

Lunch - Ham and mushroom omelette OR jacket potato with tuna

Dinner - Varies but nothing ever too naughty if I'm honest

I don't snack a lot and on weekends It does varie but again I'm still well behaved. AND I have pretty much given up wine, I have the odd glass or two on a Sat/Sun.

I do 30mins of hard cardio at the gym on the cross trainers and then another 30/45mins on weights

WHERE AM I GOING WRONG!?????

I weigh 10 1/2 stone and I?m 5ft 10 ish.....I should have lost half a stone roughly by now surely?

Please if any1 can shed some light on this it would be much appriciated!.

Thanks x

I'm no dietician but 'never too naughty if I'm honest', 'I don't snack a lot' and 'the odd glass or two' sounds like there's a little bit of denial about the process of losing weight. You're eating pretty normally for a 10 1/2 stone and 5ft 10ish so it's going to be a long time before the weight shifts.

If you want it to be quicker, then you need to eat less (says someone who would love to be that weight......)

Oh yeah well my clothes definitely fit better and I can see my tummy toning (only a little bit) and my legs are pretty good I just want a bikini bod and it?s just not happening fast enough!

And I seriously am eating really well, and I can go weeks without a glass of wine hence why I?m so confused - I am honest with myself and strict when it comes to this type of thing

I would like to lose a stone but it's never going to happen at this rate and I really don?t know why :(

well the maths says.....

A woman of your height and weight and doing "hard exercise" sessions 6 or 7 times a week needs 2400 a day if she is 50, 2476 calories a day if she is 40,2560 if she is 30 or 2638 if she is 20 to stay the same weight(Obviously less for less exercise).

breakfast

Large bowl of porridge made with milk and little bit of jam/honey = 450cal (ish)

lunch

big omlette cooked with knob of butter with ham could be = 800 cal (ish)

dinner

large potato with knob of butter and tin of tuna in water with spoon of mayo and a side salad with tiny bit of dressing= 1100cal (ish)

so if you had the above options for each meal every day of the week and a max of 4 small glasses of wine over the weekend -and nothing else to eat or drink all week except water, that means 2425 calories a day which would mean-if you were 40 years old your saving 350 cals a week -it would take you about 20 weeks to lose a kilo(7000 cals in a kilo)or 2 years to lose a stone!

That is a lot of ifs and approximations but you get the gist-its really really hard!!!!!Plus you are already slim so your body needs less calories than someone who weighs more, and burns less calories than someone who weighs more. But you may find it motivating to crunch the numbers and see what rate you are losing weight even if it is slower than you would want!

hahaha...I spose but my tummy still isn't flat! :(

Well I have sachets of porridge and they are just Quakers oats original with a small cup of milk no honey

Small omlette, half a plate

OR

Jacket potato

And dinner varies but I think thats where I'm going wrong maybe?

I can't see how else I can cut down apart from having smaller dinners and maybe cutting out the cheeky glass of wine or cheat meal over the weekend?

That is true, I don't weat enough veg at all...but then I cant see that helping me lose weight?

Went gym last night and swimming, weighed myself after and I have PUT ON, It's just not fair :(

Need to speak to some one because it's 100% not right, I had cereal for dinner as well FYI

Don't start eating cereal. It's full of sugar.

If you weigh yourself too often you will just see the small fluctuations of time of day, time of the month, and water retention, so best only to weigh more more than once a week and less if you can manage it.

There are various ways of eating that people use to lose weight. At the moment, I don't think you're doing any of them! Eating lots of vegetables is a great low calorie way of filling up, not to mention the health benefits. The 'five a day' should really be the minimum you eat, and many dieticians and weight loss plans will recommend that the majority of that five be vegetables because fruit is so sugary.

Research increasingly shows that for many people, cutting down on simple carbs will help them lose weight, so your jacket potato may not be the best option.

Wight training 3/4 times a week will see you building muscle but it takes far longer than people think to turn fat to muscle.

Have you thought about 5:2? Doctors are recommending it to people now. You eat just 500 calories two days a week and eat normally the rest of the time.

I think your right with the veg...I love carrots ad humus (low fat) as a nice little snack or dinner on a gym night!

I probably already eat only 800 calories at the moment daily and I was never a big eater before this diet either so I?m never really above the 1200 recommended daily amount unless I go out for dinner etc. I started as a size 12 and now I'm just a more comfortable size 12. I have lost inches but I'd really like to see it on the scales!

I'm going to keep a food diary for a week and I'll post it up on here and you guys can have a look.

PS. the cereal was country crisp... is that still bad???

If you're only eating 800 calories a day, at your height and weight, you won't lose weight. It's important to eat enough, otherwise your body will cling on to everything you give it. That said, from what you've posted above, I really doubt that you're only eating 800 cals.

Country Crisp cereal is packed full of sugar. If you're going to eat cereal, go for porridge, or one of the natural shredded wheat cereals that doesn't contain sugar.

Keep an honest food diary, complete with portion sizes etc, and either post it here or PM me (I worked in the weight loss industry for a number of years).

Ok, well I'm obv a bit of a novice and I'm not eating properly by the sounds of it.

I eat porridge for breakfast so I can swap the cereal at dinner for weetabix or veg? - That should work better...

I have that my fitness first app on my phone and yesterday I had 985 calories. (Country crisp was 440 of those!)

So yes I make you right about that! They will be going in the bin when I get home tonight that?s for sure!

ARGGG so difficult!

The first 2 weeks of this diet I wasn't eating carbs at all but I was eating too much fruit and stuff with natural sugars so I didn?t lose anything

THEN I started eating porridge with a low fat microwave meal for lunch and pretty much no dinner, which again did not work.

I just can't get it right!

Unlike Pickle, I'm no expert, but in your situation I would eat three proper meals a day, not cereal (even Weetabix) for dinner.

Eg

Breakfast - proper porridge

Lunch - salad with protein

Dinner - stir fried veg with protein and small portion of wholemeal carbs

Snacks - your carrots and humous sound good. One bit of fruit.

Remember that sachets of porridge are also packed full of sugar - it's the proper stuff you need (just as easy to make in the microwave, but none of the additives). Agree entirely with simonethebeaver, you need to be eating three balanced meals a day, not cereal twice, it's just not healthy.

I would hazard a guess that when you cut carbs and ate lots of fruit it would be lack of calories that was the problem, not natural fruit sugars.

I would also cut the low fat microwave meals, even though they are low in fat they are packed full of artificial things, sugars, just general nastiness. Stick with unprocessed foods that you cook from scratch. Take salads to work with a cooked chicken breast or fish, and fruit. Have some Greek yogurt, low in fat and really good for you. Helps fill you up too.

Look forward to hearing how you get on x

Cereals, ready meals, processed foods are the worst. They say 'low fat' and 'healthy' but truth is they substitute the fat and sugars with processed fats and chemicals that our bodies are just not used to and therefore our bodies use the energy to break that down the processed crap rather than the fat that we carry and want to lose. Strip your diet back to the essentials. Vegetables, fruits and proteins. More vegetables than anything. Pulses and fruit next and then protein. Eat in moderation. Get rid of the processed stuffs and eat clean. Clean! Have a cheat day or a cheat meal but just clean and healthy the rest of the time.

Good luck and look forward to hearing the results!

There's clearly some sensible advice in this thread, but in my opinion, unless you're qualified to give nutrition advice, it's really best not to. For instance, if someone has a particular medical condition, it may not be advisable for them to restrict certain types of foods. So giving very specific dietary advice on a forum, albeit well meaning, could have serious negative consequences.

This page on the NHS site gives clear information on how the OP can find a registered dietitian or nutritionist: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/find-a-registered-dietitian-or-nutritionist.aspx?categoryid=51&subcategoryid=168

a_m Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There's clearly some sensible advice in this

> thread, but in my opinion, unless you're qualified

> to give nutrition advice, it's really best not to.

> For instance, if someone has a particular medical

> condition, it may not be advisable for them to

> restrict certain types of foods. So giving very

> specific dietary advice on a forum, albeit well

> meaning, could have serious negative

> consequences.

>

> This page on the NHS site gives clear information

> on how the OP can find a registered dietitian or

> nutritionist:

> http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/find-a-registered-diet

> itian-or-nutritionist.aspx?categoryid=51&subcatego

> ryid=168

Granted, although there's been no specific dietary advice given, just general widely available information on healthy eating consisting of unprocessed foods, fruits and veg.