Advice - fungus & mould after leaks!

KirstyH

Help - really looking for some advice on two things: i. tackling mould on walls, ii. how long to wait before replastering ie how do you know when your wall has dried out?

I'm in a top floor victorian tce flat, and am waiting for roofer to repair parapet wall. The leaks have been bad since xmas and there is now persistent mould and some fungus - the mould grows back like 6o'clock shadow on walls and some areas of ceiling and has grown back rapidly after washing off with water and then (non-bleach) 'biocide' spray-on stuff. The fungus is limited, looks like wee yellow-ish brown ears in some nooks and crannies. The paint work is all bubbling up across the whole front wall inside.

I'm not keen on strong chemicals but if anyone has a rec to keep the mould and fungus at bay that would be really appreciated.

Secondly, how should I plan to get the replastering/repainting done - is there a rule of thumb about how long you need to wait for things to dry out, or should I get someone to take the plaster off and then wait for it to dry out (after the roof repairs).

Recommendations of people who can do the work would be excellent, including those who know about ventilation side of things - I've had trades indicating I definitely need a kitchen extractor fan, and others who say just open the window.

Thanks alot, I have a feeling I might not be on my own with this kind of issue, but I couldn't find another obvious thread, so plse redirect me if this is covered somewhere else. Many thanks.