Flying pig east dulwich rd

Been there once with a friend. Great deal on I think Tuesday? (Chicken wings unlimited for a set price is that right?). The pulled pork is pretty standard, it didn't exceed my expectations compared to similar ilk places but I was hungry so it was ok. The real ale selection is fabpus and I had a pumpkin beer when I went and it was pretty decent.

Louisa.

The Chef tells me the beef ribs are the best thing on the menu and also the scotch eggs are fantastic.

Its a great place, and seems to be growing in popularity - might go there for the last 6 Nations games as they have a superb screen.

Staff are v friendly too. Def a great addition to ED (check the prices before you order the beer that costs ?9 a pint)

I rate it. Food is tex-mex inspired with emphasis on barbecue (American-style, so lots of smoked, charred flavours) but you also find things like soft shell crab quinoa salad (go figure!).

I actually think the menu is excellent because you have all your "bar food" standards like buffalo wings, nachos, burgers and they're all done well, made from fresh ingredients but there are also "adventurous" options like the aforementioned salad.

The beer selection is very good too - I find the rotation (when a particular beer is gone, its really gone) a nice incentive to check from time to time.

The place is family friendly on weekends esp at lunch - at dinner time, the crowd is definitely more adult/grown up.

Worth a try and offers something different to EDT and other spots of LL.

shelly2012 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can any one recommend or tell me what it's like

> please

Further to Jeremy's suggestion there is also the Gowlett Pub around the corner if you are worried about back-up options

A proper neighbourhood boozer with the added benefit of seriously good, wood-fired pizzas!

mancity68 Wrote:

> I'm thinking of pPopping in for first time on

> Friday night. Does it get very busy? I know they

> don't take bookings and I don't want to walk all

> the way there and find out there's no table

> (taking aged relative).

>

> Thanks

Definitely a thumbs up.

Tasty and ever changing selection of draught still ciders and good ales; I liked the pulled pork bun but they do a marinaded Onglet steak which is also good.

Wing night is 25p/wing (min portion 4 I think) on a Tuesday.

I believe they will take bookings for parties of 10 and yes it does get busy.

Fine Bourbons too.

Excellent selection of ales, but I've found the food very variable.

Have had one good meal, one very bad meal, and two OK-ish.

But I like the general vibe, at least at the end nearest the street.

Have only been twice mid week.. 21.00-22.00 ish

One occasion I was the only on in there..

On the other occasion there were 3 other people.. One of which was our Mick Mac. :)

Good selection of Ales. Some over priced.

Have not tried any food. Not very inspiring venue to sit and eat. Place very cold.

Nice staff though.

Much preferred Locale for ambiance. (My personal preference. Not a bone of contention.)

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Some over priced.

Maybe. Certainly some of the beers are expensive. But not convinced they're overpriced unless you can find the same beers in London for significantly cheaper.

Is it the very strong beers (6%) that are pricey.

I've noticed this now in a few places (not that I drink loads of 6% beers :)).

Jeremy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Some over priced.

>

> Maybe. Certainly some of the beers are expensive.

> But not convinced they're overpriced unless you

> can find the same beers in London for

> significantly cheaper.

Since the advent of discount / loss-leading booze by our favourite all-conquering supermarkets, pubs have been on a hiding to oblivion. The only ways for pubs to stay economic has been to do some combination of: serving food at better margins / opening for longer / charging for entertainment / increasing drink margins.

I think the Flying Pig is great because it offers a rotating range of beers I've never heard of, and will let me try 3 or 4 thimblefuls before making a choice. I also happen to like the food. The prices cannot be described as cheap, but I think they are reasonable given the cost associated with providing such a selection.

Having said this, it most certainly does not offer a cheaper way to drink generic beer I could otherwise buy in a supermarket.

Personally, I am happy that it has chosen to do the former rather than the latter.

Jeremy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Some over priced.

>

> Maybe. Certainly some of the beers are expensive.

> But not convinced they're overpriced unless you

> can find the same beers in London for

> significantly cheaper.