Shout out for the Blue Brick

Right-lovely cafe, corner Fellbrigg and Shawbury, quiet leafy hood, calm daylit ambience, nice staff . . . and brilliant non-dead-animal food. The red lentil soup is quite stunning. Shortish menu - like every other really good cafe and restaurant I ever went to.

And for louche late-lunchers like me, they serve til 6 (5.30 on Sun).

The competition? : Well, I was a Blue Mountain monkey for some years but that was long ago. The place seems trapped in a moment of its own past; and a recent bite there was literally without taste. Prettys is a great place, good food, generous portions, lovely staff. But they need to: step the cooking up to the next level (where is the rumoured new 2014 menu?), get more serious about offering vegetarian variety; and not offering a scrumptious range of soft puds (fools, crumbles, messes etc) to show off their fruit is a serious missed opportunity.

Have I ruined Cafe Le Brique Bleu by talking about it? Will I have to start queuing behind SE22 hipsters, and yummy-mums with their Hummer-buggies? Hope not. Just had to shout out for a great place and fantastic food.

Lee Scoresby

It's Captured on The Rye Now. Coffee shop and art.

Not been in The Blue Brick in its veggie incarnation, but enjoyed the brekkie there in its previous life. I used to call it Stanley's ...as in Stanley Kubrick. I chuckled, naebody else did...

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ah, Jacks. I remember when one of the owners threw

> a tantrum on here because it never seemed to be

> open - even when it was supposed to be.

Always had really good food at The Blue Brick, it's freshley prepared by the lovely Dan the Owner/chef. The veggie sausages are delicious and his curries are great, it's also reasonably priced - my daughters love it there!

The Little Corner of Bliss - well, exactly

Expected a few SQUARKS! from diehard Blue-Mountaineers or Pretty-ists, but I guess people know what.

HMBoab, favour us with ye ancient Cocker-knee Rhyming for the Blue M, Pretty's, Petite Chou, C Nero, Captured, can you ?

The thing about evenings, NWave, is that "the lovely Dan" (quote dancet) prepares it all fresh, a lot of time and energy: that back-room is cookin' in several senses even when the caf is nearly empty. (Poor chap's had an op and the BB is closed til Wed now.)

He'd have to have a partner second shift to do evenings - and the history of cafe > restaurant at night, even on Lordship, let alone off, is not good. Chris at Prettys tried it, and Mel at BM twice.

I guess this also means the Brick won't go on forever. 'While it lasts', like any fine eating establishment.

Aaaaaand for edcam: ?Shout out, shout out, SHOUT OUT!? - a Jamaican term, no? - such linguistic sensi-TIV-ity; get a grip old thing, and eat up yer veg.

Lee Scoresby