New independent cocktail bar in ED

Mr Petrov

Dear people of East Dulwich,

I will be honest with you, I fell in love with East Dulwich since the first time I came her, as it is so much more nicer and friendlier, than anywhere I have been in London.

Therefore I need your help, guidance and opinions.

So, without further ado...

I would like to open an independent, truly local cocktail bar in East Dulwich. What would be your thoughts on this, do you think that there are enough bars, is this something that you would accept and support, as at the end of the day I will be there only for the sole reason of serving you and making sure you're enjoying it.

I would also love to hear out your suggestions in terms of what specifically would you like to see in a bar, what is it that you dislike about the other bars in the area or vice versa.

Quick inside on what the bar will be: me and the boys and girls (actually only one girl) working hard on this project have been in the industry for many years, and are obsessed with cocktails. It will be of a prohibition era style cocktail bar, with funky jazzy music (obviously not only that) and some exciting and interesting cocktails.

Hope this goes well...fingers crossed.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that if all goes well, you will be definitely invited for the opening night for some drinks on me?

Peace and Love

Denis

You do know about House of Tippler right?

Good luck with whatever if ever you get something going. Inside72 was a fave of mine. Long gone but reckon something like that might do well, although maybe the demographic has changed a bit more family orientated for that now.

Mr Petrov Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear people of East Dulwich,

>

> I will be honest with you, I fell in love with

> East Dulwich since the first time I came her, as

> it is so much more nicer and friendlier, than

> anywhere I have been in London.

>

> Therefore I need your help, guidance and

> opinions.

>

> So, without further ado...

>

> I would like to open an independent, truly local

> cocktail bar in East Dulwich. What would be your

> thoughts on this, do you think that there are

> enough bars, is this something that you would

> accept and support, as at the end of the day I

> will be there only for the sole reason of serving

> you and making sure you're enjoying it.

>

> I would also love to hear out your suggestions in

> terms of what specifically would you like to see

> in a bar, what is it that you dislike about the

> other bars in the area or vice versa.

>

> Quick inside on what the bar will be: me and the

> boys and girls (actually only one girl) working

> hard on this project have been in the industry for

> many years, and are obsessed with cocktails. It

> will be of a prohibition era style cocktail bar,

> with funky jazzy music (obviously not only that)

> and some exciting and interesting cocktails.

>

> Hope this goes well...fingers crossed.

>

> Oh, and did I forget to mention that if all goes

> well, you will be definitely invited for the

> opening night for some drinks on me?

>

> Peace and Love

> Denis

I never quite understood what was it about the Inside72? Could you explain to me more about that place, what was it about, as I've heard people liked it a lot.

Should we then revive the old Inside72 spirit?

Well then House of Tippler would have to be our main competitor!

Not sure I like the sound of this funky jazzy music much!

Unfortunately for bars to survive round here, you need a solid food offering. A lot of people are too busy to get home from work, have dinner, and then go out for drinks.

It's also vital to look at what you can do to invite daytime trade.

Inside 72 was popular for its scruffy indy/studenty vibe and eclectic music. Doesn't really sound similar to what you're trying to do...

Went to House of Tippler with a couple of friends a couple of weeks ago, early evening, sun shining, the prospect of a few martinis. We were greeted by the noisy mess of what looked like a kids party in the back but spilling into the front. We beat a hasty retreat to another hostelry without the noisy rabble of a 'family' atmosphere.

So please, a bar is a bar. If you do this, don't make it the local cr?che.

Day time trade - oh yeah....coffee please!

And yes I do know that there are loads of places that make coffee and the chain giant Cafe Nero.

In terms of the music, we are playing what our guests like, so if you're in to sweet child o'mine kind of music or the twisting songs of the 50's we will be playing all of them. But again the music choice is something to be worried about on busier night e.g. Friday/Saturday. As on the other nights it's more of a background music.

I would love to do food, and will, depending on the facilities available in the premises. But there are some bars that only do drinks on Lordship lane and they are doing fine just like that!

That's quite surprising SPEEDBIRD that you saw kids there. I mean my licence doesn't allow me to have kids on the premises, so even if I wanted I wouldn't be able to have kids in the bar. Just except for my son.

speedbird Wrote:

> Went to House of Tippler with a couple of friends

> a couple of weeks ago, early evening, sun shining,

> the prospect of a few martinis. We were greeted by

> the noisy mess of what looked like a kids party in

> the back but spilling into the front. We beat a

> hasty retreat to another hostelry without the

> noisy rabble of a 'family' atmosphere.

>

> So please, a bar is a bar. If you do this, don't

> make it the local cr?che.

what time was it, thought kids would have to be out by 7 pm?

Mustard, unsure what the time was... A haze of Gin and tonic, but would say it was probably around 7ish. Though I didn't know that kids were allowed till seven anyway. We left as we were waiting at the bar to order for far too long. Shame, it would have been good.

Yes, Mr Petrov, they obviously have a license that allows kids in. Is that the food side of the business that allows it? Maybe.....

Been racking my brain on this, "But there are some bars that only do drinks on Lordship lane and they are doing fine just like that!".. Cant honestly say i know of any place on LL that just seels drinks - I am happy to stand corrected.

I liked Inside 72 for the slighty chaotic approach. It was small and friendly. Great music. It maybe it was just of its time for me and I look back with the old rose tinted specs about it.

Anyhoo, good luck - where are you thinking of starting up - i see you are already looking for tradespeople to work on the venture. I look forward to seeing it come to fruition and popping in.

Mr Petrov Wrote:

> Day time trade - oh yeah....coffee please!

>

> And yes I do know that there are loads of places

> that make coffee and the chain giant Cafe Nero.

>

> In terms of the music, we are playing what our

> guests like, so if you're in to sweet child o'mine

> kind of music or the twisting songs of the 50's we

> will be playing all of them. But again the music

> choice is something to be worried about on busier

> night e.g. Friday/Saturday. As on the other nights

> it's more of a background music.

>

> I would love to do food, and will, depending on

> the facilities available in the premises. But

> there are some bars that only do drinks on

> Lordship lane and they are doing fine just like

> that!

>

> That's quite surprising SPEEDBIRD that you saw

> kids there. I mean my licence doesn't allow me to

> have kids on the premises, so even if I wanted I

> wouldn't be able to have kids in the bar. Just

> except for my son.

MY wishlist:

-A bar where it doesn't take an age to get served(this precludes Adventure Bar.

-A bar with room to move in it - well designed and thought out space essentially.

-A bar with atmosphere (this unfortunatly precludes HoT).

-A bar where the toilets are not gross (this further precludes Adventure Bar).

-A bar that isn't pretentious/trying to too hard to be something its not.

-A bar that has a reasonable selection of non cocktail offerings so you can take folk who aren't into them.

-A bar where the music is varied and its at a level that you can talk over without shouting but is a bit more than background music.

-Most importantly, a bar where you could go for a drink or two in the week without having to save up for a whole month to afford the drinks - nothing ruins my evening like feeling ripped off.

For cocktails, I'll be honest, I quite like Be@One - the happy hour makes drinks very reasonable, the tunes are cheesy and very singalong/danceable to. The staff are always helpful and polite and plentiful. Something like this but independent I guess is sortof what I'd look for.

Good luck!

"So please, a bar is a bar. If you do this, don't make it the local cr?che."

of all the local bars, Tippler was about the ONLY one with a strict "no kids" policy

But local demographics meant they simply had to adapt and change that rule

if more people went when it was adults only they wouldn't have had to

Not been in Adventure since it opened, and certainly didnt eat then so not sure if they do food, but looks like they do a sort of food offering!. My original point has been in my mind though. Are there any bars that sell just drinks on LL (not off licences but Bars as Mr P said). I really cant think of any.

Mr Petrov, going to put me out of my misery?

Jeremy Wrote:

> SteveUK1978 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Website says they do....

> >

> >

> http://www.adventurebar.co.uk/east-dulwich-bar/coc

> ktails/

>

> I like the way that out of 11 items on the food

> menu, 6 of them are actually drinks..

Cedges what if I've told you that I have managed B@1 bars in the past, and there will be a slight spirit of that in my bar? Especially the music. I just hope that you are not alone in loving B@1, as then I would be forced to change the concept.

Any who......At the moment cannot say anything about where in ED it will be located as it is all CONFIDENTIAL, not from my side obviously.

Got it - we will make food then! It was just initially a question of either having some food, as in sharing plates and bites, or something a bit more serious!

Mr Petrov Wrote:

> Any who......At the moment cannot say anything

> about where in ED it will be located as it is all

> CONFIDENTIAL, not from my side obviously.

>

Er... ya not being terribly "confidential" right now with your teasing. Besides, it won't be too long and certainly will not be particularly difficult to figure out where you're "planning" to move in to...

*coughs* BoHo

My guess....

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Mr Petrov Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Any who......At the moment cannot say anything

> > about where in ED it will be located as it is

> all

> > CONFIDENTIAL, not from my side obviously.

> >

> Er... ya not being terribly "confidential" right

> now with your teasing. Besides, it won't be too

> long and certainly will not be particularly

> difficult to figure out where you're "planning" to

> move in to...

You are a tease Mr Independent Cocktail bar on LSL

It's the Police Stn isn't it, with sort of 1930's style police uniformed staff. Bang on 10:30 there'll be an 'impromptu' staff on the bar dance, with provocative truncheon swinging. Followed by 'a stay in the cells' for the naughty stag or hen on their BIG night

Every time there's a 'tip' at the bar, the siren can play "woop woop" and blue flashing lights go off

Can we have cocktails served in teapots ?

Hallelujah!

I've been saying this for a long time, this is exactly what LL needs (well since Black Cherry closed - really hope it's opening in the old premises and not Franco Manca but think that's a done deal. Unfortunately if you make it like B@1 I wouldn't bother going.

If you're young and looking for a party, East Dulwich is the wrong place. So many other areas cover that.

I'm 36, been around the block a few times and am looking for something that offers more quality now, like Toast do.

My perfect bar would include the atmosphere of London (check), the chilled out, tapas style sharing food of Seville and the quality of a New York cocktail bar.

Think how many parents with money to burn are in East Dulwich, they are crying out for a place like this. Imagine not having to go up into town to get this. People could just pop out for a couple of hours and not have to waste time travelling. They would be more likely to get babysitters or use friends.

LL already has House of Tipler and Adventure bar, and the Bishop for late night debauchery. It's crying out for a quality late night drinking establishment.