Fab Sundya lunch at The Rose on Forest Hill Road

claoud9

...I know its not strictly in ED (or is it?) but we've just had an awesome Sunday lunch in there and wondered why its so quiet when the food is fab and its got a lovely outdoor area (not to mention very nice staff)?

Usually go to The Herne, Clockhouse and The Rye but all were too full.

Had anyone ever heard of The Rose or been there? Just curious as to why so quiet on a lovely Sunday...

great that someone else has been too! Both my husband and I were scratching our heads as to why it was so quiet despite nice surroundings, food and staff. Perhaps although in ED, a little out of the way from the main thorough fare. Will definately be going back.

It was lovely Ken, I had the lamb which was stuffed with spinach and mushrooms. Hubbie had one of their speciality pies with mash and little one had chicken goujons with chips. all flavoursome. with drin ks inc a couple of beers all came to ?30 - very reasonable indeed. Not a big menu on a sunday (basically 3 roasts and seleciton of pies/bar snack) but enough to do it well...

We went for Mother's Day as everywhere else was booked and we had left it late.... everywhere else was booked and this wasnt with good reason!

It was absolutely awful. We waited what seemed like forever, they kept running backward and forward to the shop for ingredients and then when finally serving us our food said they had run out of yorkshire puddings.... Food was grim, lamb was very very fatty, all luke warm. Just generally really bad service and food. They also asked us for matches as the oven had gone out and they couldn't fire it up again.

It felt like an episode of Fawlty Towers!!

The pie was however, pretty good. That said, they are pieminster pies and all they had to do was heat it up, and even that was only luke warm too.

• 2 months later...
Surly staff. One knocked over my drink and despite promising to replace it failed to. The manager refused also. Won't be returning. Recommend people find somewhere with a better service and attitude.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Last time I went there the only food was pies.

Pies fine with me. They were doing burgers last night that looked ok and apparently the Sunday roast is very good. Bearing in mind most people who use The Herne moan about the food it might be worth a quick stroll up the hill.