Superb American chef at the Cherry Tree

Msharman

A few of us went to the Cherry Tree on Saturday before the Crystal Palace match.

A new American chef, David, has just started at the Cherry Tree and cooked an amazing burger. The rest of the menu looked really good too, and i know they do a mean Sunday Roast. Worth giving it a try - especially with the current sunshine

and a nice beer garden.

The Cherry Tree gets a hard time on the forum, and you get the feeling lots of people make unfair judgements without

using the place, but I pop in from time to time, with my family (young kids) and watch the live football, and I have

to say it's one of the best local pubs around.

Msharman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> The Cherry Tree gets a hard time on the forum, and

> you get the feeling lots of people make unfair

> judgements without

> using the place,

xxxxxxxx

Have you actually read the posts about the Cherry Tree on the forum, Msharman?

If you did, you would realise exactly why it gets a hard time on here.

Many of us did "use the place" once and thought very highly of the excellent chef and management. Unfortunately the owners didn't.

For a sadly short time, it was my favourite place in East Dulwich to have lunch.

Popped in few weeks ago as just missed a train. Usual prospects propping up the bar, massive telly on full blast - showing the news not sport, lighting wayyyy to bright, no food on, about five regular punters, felt more like a wake than a pub.

I have lost count of the number of chefs/managers who have been through these doors in the last two years - must be between 5 and 8. Certainly won't be getting excited about what is almost certain to be a temporary burger offering.

msharman

couple of years ago you said "I pop in on a regular basis, and like the pub, especially during football season. The lighter paint looks good.

Please make sure you still show (non UK Sky) live Saturday & Sunday premier league matches.

The Vale is th best sports pub in ED without a doubt and the food is pretty good too.

Good lunck with taking pub on - wish you all the best in the future there and hope to meet soon"

addressing it to chrisharvey who was the new manager who turned it into the Cherry tree

did you read the subsequent events? nowt to do with the forum

subsequent to chris removal, various managers come on and post "it's all different now - come!" but it never is and they never last

do you think there might be a reason for that?

This thread well worth reading in full:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,987030,995323#msg-995323

Interesting to see that the replies come from the same people who seem to obsess about the place.

I'm not really bothered about past reviews or what's happened there with previous employees. Most pubs & restaurants have a high level of staff churn. I have no other agenda apart from enjoying an occasional pint and something to eat there.

Msharman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Most pubs & restaurants have a high level of staff

> churn.

xxxxxx

Most pubs and restaurants treat their managers and chefs with respect, particularly if they are doing a great job of bringing in new customers.

Most pubs and restaurants pay their managers and chefs for all the work they have done.

Most pubs and restaurants - and I stand to be corrected here - do not appear to have anything like the level of turnover of managers and chefs that The Vale/Cherry Tree does.

If you don't want to look at the Cherry Tree's record on these matters to date, Msharman, then fair enough, but please don't refer to those of us who care about the way a place treats its employees as "obsessing about the place" - thanks :)

Food in America tends to be much better than here. Especially Asian and Latin American food.. but also traditional US food can be really delicious (and is enjoying a bit of a renaissance at the moment).

But if, on the other hand, he's just doing burgers, roasts, fish and chips, etc, then it doesn't really make any difference where he's from! Good luck to him either way, though.